The rare and elusive jackelope was a small horned creature native to the planet Douglas III, a part of the galaxy's Centrality region. Famous game hunter Mendel Douglas, after whom Douglas III was named, traversed the planet in a bid to acquire the jackelope's hide. Although the jackelope made it back for his collection, Douglas did not survive the expedition.
By 3 BBY, the working-class bar Poly Pyramid on the neighboring Centrality planet Rafa IV decorated its interior with incompetently taxidermized galactic fauna, both nailed to the walls and suspended from the ceiling. A jackelope from Douglas III numbered among the creatures displayed.
Behind the scenesEdit
In North American folklore, the jackalope is a legendary creature with the body of a jackrabbit and the antlers of a pronghorn antelope. Twentieth-century taxidermist Douglas Herrick is credited with creating the American jackalope, which developed into a popular attraction in Herrick's hometown of Douglas, Wyoming, where jackalope hunting licenses are sold.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 132 ("jackelope")
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 202 ("Douglas III")
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The Essential Reader's Companion
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
- ↑ Martin, Douglas (2003-01-19). Douglas Herrick, 82, Dies; Father of West's Jackalope. The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Archived from the original on September 15, 2017. Retrieved on September 15, 2017.
- Jackalope on Wikipedia