- "All right, listen up. I don't like these rust buckets and I don't like our odds, but… just keep it tight and don't get drawn in too close till they roll that cannon out front."
- ―Captain Poe Dameron, to "Reb" Squadron
"Reb" Squadron was a Resistance squadron of V-4X-D ski speeders that fought against the First Order during the Battle of Crait. Confronted by the armed forces of the First Order after taking shelter in an abandoned Rebel Alliance outpost, the Resistance attempted to delay the attack by destroying the enemy's superlaser siege cannon. Captain Poe Dameron led the makeshift sortie against the besiegers, but his squadron ultimately failed to destroy the cannon. Despite the loss of Nodin Chavdri and Pammich Nerro Goode, the rest of the squadron was evacuated on the Millennium Falcon with help from the Jedi Rey.
- "Why would you do that, huh? I was almost there! Why would you stop me?!"
"I saved you, dummy. That's how we're gonna win. Not by fighting what we hate. Saving what we love."
- ―Finn and Rose, after Rose stopped Finn's suicide run.
Following the evacuation of D'Qar in 34 ABY, the Resistance fled to the planet Crait, where they tried to hide in an old outpost abandoned by the Rebel Alliance many years prior, however they were followed by the First Order. The Resistance sent out a call for help to any allies able to help, but needed to buy some time, so the outpost's enormous main door was sealed shut and the Resistance forces prepared for battle. Captain Poe Dameron led a makeshift squadron of 13 V-4X-D ski speeders, left behind by the Alliance, and piloted by the few remaining Resistance pilots. Their plan was to destroy the superlaser siege cannon the First Order had brought to put a hole in the main blast doors. This was flanked by AT-M6s and AT-ATs, with air support from TIE fighters.
As the battle ensued, the Resistance suffered heavy losses from the combined ground and air assaults, including the loss of the squadron's Nodin Chavdri and Ensign Pammich Nerro Goode. Unexpectedly, the Millennium Falcon arrived, piloted by Chewbacca and Rey, and drew the TIE fighters away from the battlefield. However, it wasn't enough as the First Order continued closer to overrunning the Resistance forces. As the siege cannon prepared to fire, Dameron ordered all speeders to fall back. Finn disobeyed and continued to fly his speeder towards the cannon in the hope of ramming it. At the last minute, Rose Tico crashed her speeder into Finn's, saving his life but injuring herself. With the base now vulnerable, the siege cannon fired at the main doors and created a hole. As the Resistance prepared for their final stand, Jedi Master Luke Skywalker appeared out of nowhere and faced off against Kylo Ren. This bought valuable time for the remaining Resistance forces to find a way out of the base and escape on the Millenium Falcon.
|-||Captain Poe Dameron||Ski speeder||-|
|-||Nodin Chavdri†||Ski speeder†||KIA|
|-||Ensign Pammich Nerro Goode†||Ski speeder†||KIA|
|-||Lieutenant Commander Nien Nunb||Ski speeder||-|
|-||C'ai Threnalli||Ski speeder||-|
|-||Rose Tico||Ski speeder†||Injured|
|-||Unidentified female Resistance pilot||Ski speeder||-|
|-||5 unidentified Resistance pilots||Ski speeders||-|
Behind the scenes
Poe Dameron's makeshift squadron first appeared in the 2017 film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi, the second installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, however it did not receive a name in the film. The squadron was first identified as "Reb" Squadron in the Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections reference book written by Jason Fry and published December 15, 2017.
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel audiobook
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 5
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections (First identified as "Reb" Squadron)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens in 34 ABY. Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi takes place immediately after the end of The Force Awakens.