18,780 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a year in the Galactic Republic's Great Manifest Period. The era, having begun more than 1,000 years earlier, featured growth and settlement out from the Core Worlds and into the Wild Space areas "east" of the galactic center. On the Core planet of Shawken, an iconic edifice that reached low-orbit altitude in the atmosphere was destroyed. The building was later rebuilt, and its construction and destruction were honored by the historian Vicendi nearly 9,000 years later.
At least three thousand years prior to the founding of the Galactic Republic, the inhabitants of the Core Worlds planet Shawken began a construction project on a new building. This building became known as the Shawken Spire, and during the span of over 9,000 years, it grew evermore towering. All the while, the Republic was established and unified and grew through settlement and annexation during the Expansionist Era and the beginning portions of the Great Manifest Period.
The galaxy in 18,780 BBY
By 18,780 BBY, the Great Manifest Period was more than 1,000 years in the making. The Republic continued its expansion eastward into the uncharted Wild Space areas of what later became "the Slice." In the Core, the Shawken Spire had become a super-tall structure that reached low-orbit altitude. Made of ancient building materials, the building was famous across the known galaxy. The iconic construct, however, met its destruction at this time.
The Great Manifest Period continued for nearly 2,000 more years, as the Republic continued its expansion. On Shawken, the renowned Spire was later rebuilt with more modern materials. The original structure, however, retained its fame and was included in a list of galactic wonders composed by the historian Vicendi in his 10,000 BBY publication Arturum Galactinum.
- The Shawken Spire, a super-tall structure on Shawken that reached low-orbit altitude, was destroyed.
Behind the scenes
The year 18,780 BBY receives its only canonical mention in The Essential Atlas in reference to the destruction of the Shawken Spire. The year, however, is also indirectly referred to by the labeling of the time period known as the Great Manifest Period from 20,000 BBY to 17,000 BBY in the Atlas.
Notes and references
- The Essential Atlas
- The New Essential Chronology and The Essential Guide to Warfare established the endpoints of this era as 20,000 BBY and 17,018 BBY.
- Tho Yor Arrival, as described in Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi 0, to the year BTC 32,800 of the calendar based on the date of the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant. Since the difference between that calendar and the Galactic Standard Calendar—based on the date of the Battle of Yavin—was 3,653 years per the reasoning here, the Tho Yor Arrival must have taken place in the year 36,453 BBY of the latter dating system. Therefore, the difference between the Galactic Standard Calendar and the dating system based on the Tho Yor Arrival that is featured in Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void must be 36,453 years. dates the
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places the Treaty of Coruscant, which served as the zero point of a calendar adopted by the Galactic Senate following the conclusion of the Great Galactic War per , in the year 3653 BBY of the Galactic Standard Calendar, which was based around the date of the Battle of Yavin. Thus, the difference between the two dating systems is 3,653 years.
- The New Essential Chronology establishes that the zero point of the calendar introduced by Tarsus Valorum was the Ruusan Reformation. The book places that event in the year of 1000 BBY of the Galactic Standard Calendar—which was based around the date of the Battle of Yavin—therefore establishing a difference of one thousand years between the two dating systems.
- The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar per The New Essential Chronology, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in the year 8 ABY of the Galactic Standard Calendar. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, with the first two months of a GrS year being the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year, and there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems.