19,000 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a year in the Galactic Republic's Great Manifest Period. The era, having begun 1,000 years earlier, featured rapid expansion out from the Core Worlds and into the areas of Wild Space east of the galactic center. Outside the galactic disc, the isolated world of Kamino underwent a dramatic climate change. There, the surface ice began to melt and flood the planet, forcing the native sentient species to relocate their cities.
Proem[edit | edit source]
In the years prior to 19,000 BBY, the planet Kamino was a terrestrial world outside the galactic disc that featured only small narrow oceans. Landlocked, the oceans were overpopulated with eels and cetaceans that choked the waters. On land, small marshes and low-lying areas had given rise to the tall, sleek Kaminoan species. The natives developed cities along the oceanic coastal areas, such as the community Derem.
The galaxy in 19,000 BBY[edit | edit source]
Around the year 19,000 BBY, Kamino began a dramatic climate shift. The surface ice, which was confined to the planetary glaciers, began to melt. As it melted, the low-lying marshes that gave rise to the Kaminoans and the narrow oceans began to flood, covering the then-extant land area. Elsewhere, in the Galactic Republic, the Great Manifest Period was continuing. The Republic continued its expansion and settlement of the areas east of the Core Worlds, into the area that eventually came to be known as "the Slice."
Impact[edit | edit source]
Within two centuries, all the surface land on Kamino was buried under water, which was hundreds of meters deep at places. The former cities, such as Derem, and architectural wonders, such as the Clock Spires of Harai Nova, were submerged. For survival, the Kaminoans adapted the technology they possessed to build their cities on stilts above the water level. Furthermore, the Kaminoans turned to genetic engineering to preserve many of the species that drowned in the rising waters. In the broader Republic, the expansion of the Great Manifest Period continued for another 2,000 years, until the rival Core Worlds began a series of conflicts for supremacy.
Notable events[edit | edit source]
- Kamino's glaciers began to melt due to climate change.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The year 19,000 BBY receives its only appearance in The Essential Atlas, published in 2009. While the Great Manifest Period is outlined in other sources, such as The New Essential Chronology, the year 19,000 BBY is not specifically mentioned. In the Atlas, the year is specifically mentioned in the discussion of the planet Kamino, where the detailing of the planet's climactic shift is documented. Elsewhere in the Atlas, the year is merely alluded to in discussion of the Great Manifest Period.
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Essential Atlas (First mentioned)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Essential Atlas
- The New Essential Chronology and The Essential Guide to Warfare established the endpoints of this era as 20,000 BBY and 17,018 BBY.
- Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Book Two—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.
- The New Essential Chronology