- "Come on, we must take the bridge!"
- ―Ki-Adi-Mundi's last words, to the 21st Nova Corps
The 21st Nova Corps, also known as the Galactic Marines, was a prominent military unit of clone troopers noted for their unique armor and relentlessness in combat. The corps served in the Grand Army of the Galactic Republic as part of the 4th Sector Army under the leadership of Jedi General Ki-Adi-Mundi and Marshal Commander CC-1138 "Bacara." Prior to the conclusion of the Clone Wars, the marines fought Separatist Alliance droid forces in the assault on Mygeeto where they received Order 66, causing Mundi's men to betray and kill him on the battlefield.
The 21st Nova Corps, also known as the Galactic Marines, was formed as a unit of the Grand Army of the Republic, an armed force of clone troopers engineered to serve the Galactic Republic and served as part of the 4th Sector Army. Like the clone army in general, the marines fought to defend the Republic against the Separatist Droid Army of the Confederacy of Independent Systems in the galaxy-wide conflict known as the Clone Wars. CC-1138 "Bacara" served as the marine Clone Commander, second to Jedi General Ki-Adi-Mundi of the Jedi Order.
During the war, the Nova Corps served the Republic with distinction, becoming well known for their aggressiveness on the battlefield. In 19 BBY, the corps participated in the Outer Rim Sieges with Mundi and Bacara leading the unit in a direct assault on the Separatist world of Mygeeto. As the fighting continued, Bacara's troops received Order 66 from Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, commanding them to execute the Jedi Purge. The marines complied with the order and turned against their general, gunning him down as he fought the Separatist battle droids on the front line.
As a corps of the Grand Army of the Republic, the 21st Nova Corps consisted of 36,864 troopers divided into sixteen regiments. The Galactic Marines were under the command of Jedi General Ki-Adi-Mundi and Marshal Commander CC-1138 "Bacara" and was attached to the 4th Sector Army. Mundi personally led a squad of Galactic Marines during the assault on Mygeeto.
Equipment and vehiclesEdit
Clone troopers assigned to the 21st Nova Corps were considered to be of exceptional conditioning and discipline, and were trained to operate in hostile environments, such as fungal clouds to pure vacuum environments. In the field, the corps would use the DC-15 blaster rifle and the DC-15A blaster. Along with their infantry forces, the unit also utilized UT-ATs in combat.
In addition to their reputation as relentless soldiers, the Galactic Marines were also distinguished by their specialized armor, a variant of the Phase II clone trooper armor that succeeded the earlier Phase I model. The design of the helmet incorporated a specialized visor designed to filter pollutants and other hazards, which included a special synthmesh visor for the filtration of poisonous gases.
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Kanan 2 (Vision to Caleb Dume)
- Galaxy's Edge 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
- (First identified as Galactic Marines)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★) (link))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Clone Trooper: Galactic Marines (★★★) (link)) (First identified as 21st Nova Corps)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Ki-Adi-Mundi (★★★) (link))
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Clone Trooper: Galactic Marines (★★★) (link))
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★) (link))
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations establishes that a corps in the Grand Army of the Republic contains 36,864 clone troopers divided into sixteen regiments. Since the Galactic Marines is a corps within the Grand Army of the Republic, it must have 36,864 troopers divided into sixteen regiments as well.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition