- "This next one goes out to the Mud-Jumpers of the 224th, slugging it out on Mimban. Keep your heads down and your seals tight, boys."
- ―Hologram VJ
History[edit | edit source]
Clone Wars[edit | edit source]
During the Clone Wars, it was known as the 224th Division of the Grand Army of the Republic. A detachment of the 224th known as the Mud Jumpers fought on Mimban alongside The 501st Legion under Jedi General Laan Tik. During the fight, General Tik was killed and the clones were forced to fall back.
While in combat on Mimban, the 224th's Mud Jumpers were given a song by a Hologram VJ of the Grand Army of the Republic's broadcast. The 224th Division fought alongside Iasento's tribe against Separatist forces, which had invaded the planet to exploit its mineral resources.
Galactic Empire[edit | edit source]
When the Republic reorganized into the Galactic Empire in 19 BBY, the planet once again experienced an incursion from an external enemy: their former allies. The Imperials returned to the once-allied planet as conquerors, seeking to procure the abundant mineral resources that existed on the swampy world.
By 10 BBY, the 224 Armored Division consisted of Swamp troopers who had been conscripted from local planetary forces and integrated into the Imperial Army. While these were gradually being replaced with stormtroopers, regular army and stormtrooper personnel fought together. The 224 Armored Division took part in trench warfare and skirmishes against the Mimbanese.
Organization and equipment[edit | edit source]
Under the Empire, the 224th Imperial Armored Division utilized All Terrain Defense Turrets as mobile artillery, Y-45 armored transport hauler airborne transports, TIE fighters and both wet-weather gear stormtroopers and conscripted swamp troopers as specialized swamp terrain infantry. Swamp troopers were considered to be the latest iteration of the Clone Wars-era Mud Jumpers.
The division was based at Camp Forward, a temporary Imperial headquarters situated in a disputed wilderness zone. The camp's facilities included tents, prefabricated structures. The division also employed medics including Specialist Gillen Finders and Sergeant Mattiso Trodu. In line with Imperial interpretations of medical oaths, the division's medics only treated humans and had a reputation for firing upon Mimbanese natives.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The 224th was first mentioned in "Rookies," the fifth episode of the canon animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' first season, which originally aired on October 24, 2008. It was later depicted as an Imperial military unit in the 2018 film Solo: A Star Wars Story.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- "501 Plus One"—Age of Republic Special 1
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies" (First mentioned)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: A Junior Novel
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Meet the Crew
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 2
- Star Wars: Solo Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Star Wars 58 (Indirect mention only)
- "In Service to the Empire"—Empire Ascendant 1 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Squadrons (Mentioned only) (First identified as 224th Clone division)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First pictured)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide (First identified as 224th Imperial Armored Division)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor