The year 3642 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a time period that brought significant changes to the state of the galaxy. Also known as the year 11 after the Treaty of Coruscant (ATC), it marked the end of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the reconstituted Sith Empire and the renewal of hostilities in the form of the Galactic War. A galaxy-spanning conflict similar to the first, the second war's origins could be traced back to numerous events and proxy wars between the two galactic powers during the previous decade and the early months of the year. Conflicts from the year before such as the Desolator crisis, Plan Zero, and the defection of the Republic's Havoc Squad served to increase the tensions between the Empire and Republic, and open warfare soon broke out in when the planet Balmorra was liberated from Imperial control and the Empire conquered the world of Taris. The freeing of the ancient Jedi Master Revan was the event that finally sparked the Empire into action, marking the end of the Cold War and a return to open conflict.
- The planet Balmorra is freed from Imperial control by the forces of the Galactic Republic and the Balmorran resistance.
- The Empire occupies the Republic world of Taris, effectively halting the Republic resettlement project.
- The Jedi Master Revan is freed from the Maelstrom prison after over three hundred years of captivity by a Republic strike team.
- Darth Baras' Plan Zero is implemented with the help of his apprentice, which combined with Revan's escape and the recent conflicts ignites the fires of war across the galaxy. After eleven years, the Cold War ends and the Galactic War begins.
- Revan's attempts to use the Rakatan space station known as the Foundry are halted by an Imperial strike force. The Sith Lord Darth Malgus later takes control of the station for his own purposes.
- A Jedi strike team led by Jedi Master Tol Braga attempts to capture the Sith Emperor aboard his space station, but are defeated and turned to the dark side.
- On Hoth
- On Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Bounty Hunter Mission: "Number One With a Bullet" on the Founder
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Consular Mission: "Passing the Torch" on Balmorra
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 407 ("Old Sith Wars") establishes that the Old Sith Wars included the Jedi Civil War, which ended in 3956 BBY per The Essential Atlas, and The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. xii ("A Timeline of Galactic Events") dates the beginning of the New Sith Wars to 2000 BBY.
- Tho Yor Arrival, as described in Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi 0, to the year BTC 32,800 of the calendar based on the date of the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant. Since the difference between that calendar and the Galactic Standard Calendar—based on the date of the Battle of Yavin—was 3,653 years per the reasoning here, the Tho Yor Arrival must have taken place in the year 36,453 BBY of the latter dating system. Therefore, the difference between the Galactic Standard Calendar and the dating system based on the Tho Yor Arrival that is featured in Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void must be 36,453 years. dates the
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places the Treaty of Coruscant, which served as the zero point of a calendar adopted by the Galactic Senate following the conclusion of the Great Galactic War per , in the year 3653 BBY of the Galactic Standard Calendar, which was based around the date of the Battle of Yavin. Thus, the difference between the two dating systems is 3,653 years.
- The New Essential Chronology establishes that the zero point of the calendar introduced by Tarsus Valorum was the Ruusan Reformation. The book places that event in the year of 1000 BBY of the Galactic Standard Calendar—which was based around the date of the Battle of Yavin—therefore establishing a difference of one thousand years between the two dating systems.
- The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar per The New Essential Chronology, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in the year 8 ABY of the Galactic Standard Calendar. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, with the first two months of a GrS year being the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year, and there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "Power Play" on Dromund Kaas
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Republic Mission: "Sacrifices" on Balmorra
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Durant" on Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Faraire" on Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Frelka" on Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Minst" on Taris