The year 3642 before the Battle of Yavin (BBY) was a time period that brought significant changes to the state of the galaxy. Also known as the year 11 after the Treaty of Coruscant (ATC), it marked the end of the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the reconstituted Sith Empire and the renewal of hostilities in the form of the Galactic War. A galaxy-spanning conflict similar to the first, the second war's origins could be traced back to numerous events and proxy wars between the two galactic powers during the previous decade and the early months of the year. Conflicts from the year before such as the Desolator crisis, Plan Zero, and the defection of the Republic's Havoc Squad served to increase the tensions between the Empire and Republic, and open warfare soon broke out in when the planet Balmorra was liberated from Imperial control and the Empire conquered the world of Taris. The freeing of the ancient Jedi Master Revan was the event that finally sparked the Empire into action, marking the end of the Cold War and a return to open conflict.
Events[edit | edit source]
- The planet Balmorra is freed from Imperial control by the forces of the Galactic Republic and the Balmorran resistance.
- The Empire occupies the Republic world of Taris, effectively halting the Republic resettlement project.
- The Jedi Master Revan is freed from the Maelstrom prison after over three hundred years of captivity by a Republic strike team.
- Darth Baras' Plan Zero is implemented with the help of his apprentice, which combined with Revan's escape and the recent conflicts ignites the fires of war across the galaxy. After eleven years, the Cold War ends and the Galactic War begins.
- Revan's attempts to use the Rakatan space station known as the Foundry are halted by an Imperial strike force. The Sith Lord Darth Malgus later takes control of the station for his own purposes.
- A Jedi strike team led by Jedi Master Tol Braga attempts to capture the Sith Emperor aboard his space station, but are defeated and turned to the dark side.
Deaths[edit | edit source]
- On Hoth
- On Taris
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Bounty Hunter Mission: "Number One With a Bullet" on the Founder
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Consular Mission: "Passing the Torch" on Balmorra
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia and The Essential Atlas establishes the endpoints of the two bordering eras as 3950 BBY and 2000 BBY.
- Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Book Two—Prisoner of Bogan establishes the year 36,453 BBY as the date of the Tho Yor Arrival, which is the zero point of the Tho Yor Arrival dating system, meaning the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the TYA year-notation system is 36,453 years. This date is derived from simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- The New Essential Chronology states that the Great Hyperspace War began in 5000 BBY, which is 1,347 BTC in Star Wars: The Old Republic's Galactic Timeline, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the calendar based on the Treaty of Coruscant is 3,653 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- The New Essential Chronology states that the Ruusan Reformation occurred in 1000 BBY, which is the zero point of the calendar based on the Ruusan Reformation, so the difference between the calendar based on the Battle of Yavin and the Ruusan Reformation's year-notation system is 1,000 years. This date is derived using simple math based upon other confirmed dates.
- The Essential Atlas places the Battle of Yavin, the zero point in the Galactic Standard Calendar, in 35:3 under the Great ReSynchronization dating system. The Essential Atlas also places the Battle of Selaggis on 43:2:28 and the Battle of Dathomir on 43:3:21. The Essential Guide to Warfare and The Essential Atlas both place the Battle of Dathomir in 8 ABY. The Essential Guide to Warfare also places the Battle of Selaggis in 7 ABY, confirming the placement of the division between each Galactic Standard Calendar year as the third month in the Great ReSynchronization year. Thus, there is a two-month gap between the two dating systems, and the first two months of a GrS year are the last two of the preceding Galactic Standard Calendar year. The Great ReSynchronization was instituted in 35 BBY, so there is a total difference of 35 years and 2 months between the two systems. This article's date is therefore derived from simple math based on this reference explanation.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "Power Play" on Dromund Kaas
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Republic Mission: "Sacrifices" on Balmorra
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Durant" on Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Faraire" on Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Frelka" on Taris
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Sith Warrior Mission: "General Minst" on Taris