- "Buckle your belts and check your cells, soldiers. We're going in."
- ―Buzz, a member of the Elite Corps
The 41st Elite Corps, simply known as the Elite Corps, was a military corps of the Grand Army of the Republic. The 41st Elite Corps, which consisted of sub-units such as Green Company, was composed of clone troopers under the leadership of Clone Commander CC-1004 "Gree," who served under Jedi General Luminara Unduli during the early period of the Clone Wars.
The Clone WarsEdit
Arresting Nute GunrayEdit
- "Take this Separatist scum away."
- ―A member of Green Company orders the arrest of Gunray
After the Clone Wars erupted with the First Battle of Geonosis between the Galactic Republic and the Separatist Alliance, the 41st Elite Corps was part of the Grand Army of the Republic and was placed under the command of Jedi General Luminara Unduli, her Jedi padawan Barriss Offee, and Clone Commander CC-1004 "Gree." Early during the Clone Wars, Senator Padmé Amidala of Naboo was captured during the Mission to Rodia by Viceroy of the Trade Federation Nute Gunray and Separatist forces. After her droid, C-3PO, managed to contact a Republic clone trooper, the Venator-class Star Destroyer Tranquility was dispatched and ferried Green Company to Rodia. Green Company, led by Commander Gree, landed in Rodia's Senatorial residence via LAAT/i gunships and arrested Viceroy Gunray after linking up with Senator Amidala, Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks, C-3PO, and Senator Onaconda Farr. After the arrest, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine thanked the senators and Binks for their help via a hologram set up by clone troopers, and dispatched supplies to Rodia immediately.
Attack on the TranquilityEdit
- "Green Company, prepare to repel the enemy."
- ―Commander Gree, to Green Company
Green Company brought Gunray aboard a Consular-class cruiser from the surface of the planet to the Tranquility. General Unduli and Padawan Ahsoka Tano accompanied Gunray as security, and when the cruiser docked with the Tranquility, Gunray was brought to the ship's brig with the help of Senate Commandos so that he could be interrogated en route to Coruscant. Separatist forces, however, quickly created a strategy to either kill Gunray or rescue him, so that Separatist secrets could not be revealed. Separatist Head of State Count Dooku dispatched his assassin, Asajj Ventress, along with a group of Separatist light starships. After some time of interrogation, three Droch-class boarding ships and Vulture droid starfighters attacked the Tranquility. Commander Gree, who was alongside the Jedi and Senate Commando Captain Faro Argyus when they felt the attack, contacted a clone naval captain in the bridge requesting a status report. Upon hearing of Separatist engagement, Commander Gree deployed Green Company to repel Separatist boarders. The three boarding ships all successfully breached through the Tranquility's hull and deployed B2 super battle droids to the hangar.
At least twelve members of Green Company, including Green Leader, initially went to the hangar to engage Separatist forces and attempt to stop them from spreading throughout the ship. During the skirmish in the hangar, Separatist forces prevailed and killed many clone troopers, including Green Leader. Republic forces ultimately failed in preventing Separatist forces from spreading, and the battle droids headed to the prison level. In the aftermath of the skirmish in the hangar, Ventress stealthily deployed from a boarding ship and encountered a Green Company survivor, who attempted to alert the rest of Republic forces of Ventress but was beheaded before he could warn them. As Separatist units advanced, the rest of Green Company retreated to the prison level, all while engaging battle droids in the ship's hallways. While 41st Elite Corps forces were engaging Separatist troops, Ventress rigged explosives on the Tranquility's reactor. The Republic WED-15 Treadwell droid 327-T conducted a perimeter sweep of the reactor room but Ventress managed to stay hidden. 327-T encountered a Clone Captain and a fellow trooper who arrived to check in with 327-T before Commander Gree called on them to head to the prison level. Eventually, Unduli and Green Company managed to destroy all Separatist battle droids, but sensed that their troubles were not over.
During the attack, Padawan Tano had remained in the ship's brig with Captain Argyus and four Senate Commandos while Green Company, Unduli, and Commander Gree repelled the boarders. Ventress, however, infiltrates the brig and fights against Tano and the Senate Commandos, killing two and rendering Argyus and the remaining two guards unconscious. Unduli sensed the fight, and along with Gree and two other troopers, headed towards the brig and getting there just as Ventress freed Gunray and imprisoned Tano in a prison cell. Unduli ordered Ventress to surrender, but the explosive charges in the Tranquility's reactor room exploded, allowing Ventress to escape. Unduli ordered Tano to guard Gunray along with Agryus and Gree, while Unduli would pursue Ventress and the two clone troopers headed to another part of the ship. Unduli eventually managed to track down Ventress and engage her in a lightsaber duel, but was defeated.
Tano, who decided to defy Unduli's orders after speaking with Gree and Argyus, managed to rescue Unduli and continue to fight Ventress. Now having both Jedi occupied, Ventress sent Argyus a signal, which revealed Argyus as a traitor as he killed his fellow guards and engaged Gree. After fighting in hand-to-hand combat, Argyus managed to defeat Gree and free Gunray, fleeing to the Consular-class cruiser that brought Gunray onboard initially, while at the same moment, Ventress managed to evade Tano and Unduli and, after killing two troopers, use a Republic escape pod to rendezvous with the cruiser nearby. After the Republic defeat, Unduli and Ahsoka reported to Yoda and Anakin Skywalker about the loss as Green Company troopers stand guard on the bridge.
Attack on GeonosisEdit
- "We'll have to make a bold move if we're to draw them out of the factory and keep their attention on us and not the Padawans."
"The best way to that is to march our troops straight up the middle, parade style. They can't resist that."
"With no cover?"
"Well, we have to make it tempting."
- ―Jedi Generals Luminara Unduli and Anakin Skywalker
The 41st was later sent to Geonosis to retake the planet. There, they assisted Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and the 501st Legion in distracting the Geonosian leader Poggle the Lesser at his primary droid foundry while Jedi Commanders Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee infiltrated the foundry. The 41st and 501st then fell back when Poggle unleashed the super tanks. Despite the tanks, the foundry was destroyed. They then took part in cleaning up the remaining forces on Geonosis and searched for Poggle. During the clean up operations, Unduli and clone trooper "Buzz" used BARC speeders to search for Poggle, eventually tracking him to the Progate Temple. There, Buzz was killed and Unduli was captured, although she managed to contact the other Jedi during her captivity. Eventually, Unduli was rescued by Republic forces and the temple was destroyed.
Closing stages of the warEdit
- Ki-Adi-Mundi: "What about the droid attack on the Wookiees?"
- Mace Windu: "It is critical we send an attack group there immediately."
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: "He's right, it's a system we cannot afford to lose."
- Yoda: "Go, I will. Good relations with the Wookiees, I have."
- Mace Windu: "It's settled, then. Yoda will take a battalion of clones to reinforce the Wookiees on Kashyyyk."
- ―Jedi Generals Ki-Adi-Mundi, Mace Windu, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Yoda dispatch the 41st to Kashyyyk[src]
During the war, the 41st Ranger Platoon, a sub-unit of the 41st Elite Corps, conducted missions behind enemy lines to sabotage supply lines and vulnerable installations. During the Battle of Coruscant, troopers of the 41st Elite Corps were stationed aboard the Guarlara when it exchanged broadsides with the Separatist flagship Invisible Hand. During the broadside exchange, troopers of the 41st manned the cannons and many were killed when their stations were destroyed by Separatist fire, although the Guarlara was victorious from the broadside. Following the Battle of Coruscant, the 41st Elite Corps assembled at a Coruscant cruiser staging area as equipment and vehicles were loaded unto a Venator-class Star Destroyer and Jedi General Yoda arrived to command a sub-unit of the corps, the 41st Scout Battalion, before they were to be dispatched to Kashyyyk.
The 41st Scout Battalion arrived on Kashyyyk and unloaded vehicles and equipment, preparing themselves alongside the Kachirho Wookiee Militia to defend the city of Kachirho from Separatist forces. While on Kashyyyk the 41st Scout Battalion was led by Jedi Generals Yoda and Luminara Unduli. Eventually, the Battle of Kashyyyk erupted and the battalion defended the beachhead against the Separatists, taking positions on the beach itself as well as the large trees surrounding the city as well as structures. In the midst of the battle, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of the Republic, secretly the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious, executed Order 66, an initiative that labeled the Jedi as traitors. Commander Gree received the message from Palpatine in the command center, and he and another trooper moved into position to execute Yoda. Yoda, however, sensed the betrayal of Palpatine and the deaths of his fellow Jedi across the galaxy, and beheaded Gree and the trooper before they could fire their blasters. The two Wookiees beside Yoda, Chewbacca and General Tarfful then helped Yoda leave the city.
Once the battle was over and day had turned to night, members of the battalion, which included ARF troopers on AT-RTs, hunted for Yoda but failed to stop him from escaping the planet. Several members of the 41st Elite Corps were on Utapau alongside the 212th Attack Battalion of the 7th Sky Corps in the cleanup of the Battle of Utapau as Republic forces imprisoned their former Pau'an Warrior allies. Several members of the 41st Elite were near Marshal Commander CC-2224 "Cody" as he requested an update during the search for Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi.
The 41st Elite Corps was a corps in the Grand Army of the Republic, and as such consisted of 36,864 troopers divided into sixteen regiments. One sub-unit of the 41st was Green Company, which was led by Green Leader and a Clone Captain. Another was the 41st Scout Battalion, which participated in the Battle of Kashyyyk. The 41st Ranger Platoon was a strike team within the 41st Elite Corps. The 41st Elite Corps was led by Jedi General Luminara Unduli, whilst Clone Commander CC-1004 "Gree" served as the clone commander. Unduli's Jedi Padawan, Jedi Commander Barriss Offee, was also part of the corps. The 41st Elite Corps consisted of standard clone troopers, as well as clone scout troopers, Advanced Recon Force troopers, and clone pilots. One pilot in the corps held the rank of Clone Captain.
The 41st Elite Corps had several varying identifying color schemes for the unit. Standard clone troopers of the corps had olive green markings with many different patterns, light green markings, gray markings, and green camouflage on their armor. Standard clone troopers made use of the phase I clone trooper armor and later phase II clone trooper armor. Soldiers of the 41st Elite Corps were typically equipped with DC-15 blaster rifles, DC-15A blasters, RPS-6 rocket launchers, and more.
The 41st Elite Corps used a variety of vehicles. The corps' aerial component consisted of LAAT/i gunships and LAAT carriers for transportation. Ground vehicles consisted of walkers such as All Terrain Tactical Enforcers, All Terrain Attack Pods, and All Terrain Recon Transports. Other ground vehicles in its arsenal included HAVw A6 Juggernauts, Infantry Support Platforms, and BARC speeders. At times, members of the 41st Elite Corps were present aboard Venator-class Star Destroyers such as the Guarlara, where they manned its guns, the Tranquility, and, on at least one occasion, a Consular-class cruiser.
Behind the scenesEdit
The 41st Elite Corps first appeared in the theatrical 2005 Skywalker saga film Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. The 41st Elite Corps was first identified in Hasbro Inc.'s Star Wars Rebels toy line.
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lair of Grievous" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Yoda – The Jedi Master" (Appears in flashback(s))
- (First identified as Elite Corps)
- (First identified as 41st Elite Corps)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Databank A-Z: Saw Gerrera–Commander Gree)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 4.23 4.24 4.25 4.26 4.27 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bombad Jedi"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations establishes that a corps in the Grand Army of the Republic contains 36,864 clone troopers divided into sixteen regiments. Since the 41st Elite Corps is a corps within the Grand Army, it must have 36,864 troopers divided into sixteen regiments.