The AA-1 was a piece of computing hardware that enabled a droid's cognitive functions and logic processing. The fluency in "6 million forms of communication" C-3PO often boasted about was provided by a TranLang III communications module, not to be confused with the AA-1 Verbobrain. This type of verbobrain was also one of many hardware patents used in the creation of Industrial Automaton's LOM-series protocol droids. This patent infringement, although not quite an obvious form of infringement than the cosmetic similarities between the LOM and the 3PO units, led to several lawsuits by Cybot Galactica, the creator of the 3PO-series.
The AA-1 had a total data capacity of five exabytes and could operate at seven petahertz.
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer
- "Ringers"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 6
- "The Spira Regatta"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 1 (As "AA-1 Verbobrain")
- (As "AA-1 Verbobrain")
- "The Farrimmer Cafe"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 11
- (As "A-A-1 Verbobrain")
- The Courtship of Princess Leia (First appearance)
- "Droids Defiant"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 9
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee