The AV-7 Antivehicle Cannon, also known as the AV-7 Mobile Cannon, the Republic Artillery Gun, the heavy cannon, or the Clone Artillery Cannon, was a self-propelled artillery unit used by the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars.
The vehicle could be operated by one clone tank gunner in a seat on the side of the gun, and had a chamber for refilling plasma shells to the side of the lower chassis.
The vehicle would be moved with its built in repulsorlifts until it reached a suitable firing position and then entrench itself on the ground, using four metallic feet for support.
Its artillery shells created a fairly large blast radius, able to take out both vehicles and surrounding droids in a single shot.
- "Give it everything you've got! Gunners—break out the AV-7!"
Republic Artillery Guns were used during the Battle of Christophsis where they countered the Confederacy's AATs and titanic Tri-droids. The Separatists then erected a deflector shield which rendered the cannons ineffective. Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano eventually destroyed the deflector shield generator, disabling the shield and allowing four AV-7s to halt the enemy advance and help score the Republic victory.
These cannons were also used during the Second Battle of Geonosis when Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano were attempting to infiltrate a Separatist droid factory. Many of these cannons were destroyed by the Separatist experimental super tanks.
Behind the scenes
After its appearance in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars animated film, the AV-7 antivehicle cannon appeared in October 2011 as a miniature in the Clone Wars Tactics expansion of the Star Wars PocketModel TCG collection, which was later released on November 12, 2008.
In 2011, Hasbro produced a Clone Wars edition of the vehicle, the Republic AV-7 Mobile Cannon. The action vehicle was built to accommodate the company's 3-3/4" action figure line of Star Wars figures. The vehicle featured a caterpillar-like tread assembly on the underside, in contrast to the in-universe units demonstrating motion via repulsorlifts.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars novelization (First appearance, simultaneous with junior novelization)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars junior novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- The Clone Wars: Transfer
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes (Wreckage only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lethal Trackdown" (Barrels only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond" (Barrels only)
- "Burn the Behemoth!"—Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.17
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Non-canonical appearance)
- (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Clone Wars Tactics (Card: 38th Armored Division Clone Artillery Cannon) (First identified as Clone Artillery Cannon)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Clone Wars Tactics (Card: 104th Battalion Clone Artillery Cannon)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Clone Wars Tactics (Card: 501st Legion Clone Artillery Cannon)
- Star Wars PocketModel TCG – Clone Wars Tactics (Card: 212th Attack Battalion Clone Artillery Cannon)
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide (First identified as AV-7 Antivehicle Cannon)
- (First identified as AV-7 Mobile Cannon)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Incredible Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (Set: 75045 Republic AV-7 Anti-Vehicle Cannon)