- "The young are often underestimated."
Official description[edit | edit source]
Plot summary[edit | edit source]
Following the younglings' successful test on Ilum, Ahsoka Tano prepares to escort them back to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. In the meantime, as part of their journey, the younglings are to be instructed in the proper construction of their lightsabers under the expert tutelage of the Jedi's prime lightsaber designer and engineer, Huyang. Huyang comments on how Gungi is a Wookiee, and how it is rare for members of his species to join the Jedi Order, then wastes no time introducing the younglings into the basics of determining the styling of their individual lightsabers. Ganodi doubts him due to him being a droid, but Huyang gives them the necessary instructions to assemble their lightsabers from the parts he provides.
Unfortunately, the Jedi training cruiser is intercepted by Hondo Ohnaka and his pirate band, who seek to convert the younglings' crystals into easy profit on the black market. They attack the ship, disabling its engines before R2-D2 can effect an escape, then board it in order to corral the younglings and gather their prize. As they come aboard, Huyang asks the younglings to surrender their crystals for safekeeping, and all do, except for Petro, who pretends to drop his crystal into Huyang's canister, but actually holds onto it.
Just before the pirates can find them, Ahsoka manages to evacuate the younglings and Huyang into the ship's ventilation systems. Temporarily safe, Ahsoka sends Zatt and Ganodi to join Artoo in securing the cockpit, while Huyang and the other younglings are to lock themselves inside the hold. Ahsoka first intends to reroute power to the engines, whereupon they will be able to rip loose of the pirates' boarding tube connecting the two vessels, thus blowing the intruders out into space. While Ahsoka, Zatt and Ganodi manage to achieve their respective targets, Huyang and the other younglings are smoked out of the ventilation system and cornered by the pirates. Petro slyly uses his crystal and his lightsaber, which he assembled with an inverted emitter matrix, and cons one of the pirates to activate it, causing it to explode and stun them.
Following this, the younglings decide to slow the pirates by employing their lightsaber training drones as part of a cunning trap. They manage to kill two pirates this way, but just before the safety of the hold, they run into Ohnaka himself. Alerted by Zatt and Ganodi, Ahsoka arrives just in the nick of time to engage the pirates in a duel, allowing the younglings and a damaged Huyang to escape to safety. While still outside the safety of the hold, Ahsoka instructs Zatt to execute the last part of the plan, and as the Jedi cruiser rips loose, the docking tube's sealing is broken and pulled out of the ship, managing to grab onto their own ship. But just as Ahsoka closes the outside hatch, a straggler pirate knocks her into the tube as well. As a result, she ends up becoming Ohnaka's prisoner. Holding her responsible for his defeat, Hondo intends to find a way to turn Ahsoka into profit, leaving the younglings alone to deliver this serious news to the Jedi High Council.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
"A Test of Strength" is the second episode in a four-part story arc, which was titled "Young Jedi" and previewed as a full-length 80-minute feature at Celebration VI in August 2012 to family viewers. It replaced "The Rise of Clovis", originally reported by Star Wars Insider 134, as the seventh episode in Season Five. Some of the ideas in this story came from a scrapped pilot script for a spin-off TV series.
Credits[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Canon organizations and titles
Legends organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission, and that it ended 19 years before the mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY and ended in 19 BBY. Because the end of the war was depicted in "Tipping Points," the events of the episode must be set in 19 BBY. establishes that the events of "A Test of Strength" take place after "Tipping Points" and before the events of "Eminence," which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 19 BBY. Therefore, the events of "A Test of Strength" must take place in 19 BBY.
- Eric. CVI: TCW "Young Jedi" Arc Previewed on TheForce.net. Archived from the original on July 30, 2019. Retrieved on January 5, 2020.
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 134
- Veneble, Nick (November 25, 2016). The Last Star Wars Project George Lucas Considered Before Selling To Disney. CinemaBlend. Archived from the original on May 21, 2019. Retrieved on September 7, 2018.
- (slide 1)