- "Senator Aang holds the deciding vote on the Military Oversight Committee. You know how particular the Roonan are. I need everything to be… perfect."
- ―Padmé Amidala, to Anakin Skywalker
Senator Aang was a Roonan male who served in the Senate of the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. A highly particular Roonan, Aang was an important member of the Senate Military Oversight Committee, and his vote was recruited by Senator Padmé Amidala during her campaign to curb the Republic's spending on the Grand Army of the Republic's war effort. Ultimately, however, Amidala's efforts failed, and the Senate instead voted to increase military spending to fund the production of five million additional clone troopers.
- "To the signing of the treaty. And to my favorite dessert, Jogan fruit cake, yes."
- ―Aang leads a toast at Padmé Amidala's state banquet
The Roonan male Aang lived during the last decades of the Galactic Republic's rule. A politician, he became a senator of the Republic Senate, which was based on the galactic capital, Coruscant. He eventually attained a seat on the Senate Military Oversight Committee, a bureau affiliated with the operations of the Republic Military. By the time of the Clone Wars, his vote on the committee was considered to be decisive.
In 21 BBY, the war's second year, Senator Padmé Amidala began a campaign to reduce the Republic's spending on the war effort against the separatist Confederacy of Independent Systems. She thus tried to persuade Aang to vote with her coalition, given his prominence on the Military Oversight Committee. As part of her negotiations with the Roonan, Amidala hosted a state banquet—one that was said to be the most important party of the season—in his honor at her apartment on Coruscant. The event also served as a celebration for the Roonan's birthday. Aang attended the event alongside Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker and fellow senators Jakker-Sun, Kin Robb, Bail Prestor Organa, Mon Mothma, and Dantum Roohd. At the banquet, Amidala made sure to serve Aang's favorite dessert, Jogan fruit cake, despite the rarity of fresh Jogan fruit on Coruscant. Aang thereafter agreed to sign a treaty and support her campaign, leading a toast in honor of his decision.
Aang was later present in the Senate when Senator Gume Saam proposed a measure for the deregulation of the InterGalactic Banking Clan to gain access to funds for the war effort. Despite Amidala's efforts to establish peace negotiations with the Separatist Parliament, the Senate ultimately voted in favor of Saam's bill in light of a Separatist attack on Coruscant's power generator. Even with Aang's support, Amidala's initiative to reduce military spending soon suffered a similar end, with the Senate rejecting it and instead electing to fund the production of five million additional clone troopers for the Grand Army of the Republic.
Personality and traitsEdit
- "The red one, Senator Aang's favorite color is red."
- ―Padmé Amidala, while selecting a dress to wear at the state banquet
A Roonan male, Aang had blue eyes and gray skin. Like most members of his species, he was very particular, and he sometimes mistook the slightest mistake on another's part for a deep insult. An influential senator of the Republic during the Clone Wars, he came to hold a decisive vote on the Senate Military Oversight Committee. Even though fresh Jogan fruit was hard to come by on Coruscant, he greatly enjoyed Jogan fruit cake as a dessert, to the point that Padmé Amidala was able to win his support for her military spending reduction measure by serving the dish at a state banquet celebrating his birthday. Aang's favorite color was red, and he often wore a suit of red with black boots to official proceedings affiliated with the Galactic Senate. His high particularity caused Amidala to go to considerable lengths to entertain him; she even chose to wear a red dress at the banquet to please him with his favorite color.
Behind the scenesEdit
The character of Senator Aang was created for the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and first appeared in the episode "Evil Plans," which aired on November 5, 2010 as part of the series' third season. He was voiced by voice actor Terrence Carson, who also provided the series' voice for Jedi Master Mace Windu. Aang was later given a brief cameo appearance in the Senate in the episode "Heroes on Both Sides," which aired two weeks after "Evil Plans" on November 19. Aang's character model was based on that of fellow Roonan senator Edcel Bar Gane, who was originally developed for the second season episode "Senate Murders." Aang's model later became the basis for another Roonan character, Jedi Master Halsey, for the third season episode "Monster."
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Pocket Money Treats, First Edition
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.49
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Magazine 20
- The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 47 (20 BBY 1, Loyalty)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans"
- ↑ The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 62 (21 BBY 17–18, Defense of Kamino) dates "ARC Troopers" to 21 BBY, while The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 7 (KAT2, King Katuunko) dates "Pursuit of Peace" to 21 BBY. Since places "Evil Plans" between those two episodes, it can be concluded that "Evil Plans" also takes place in 21 BBY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 47 (20 BBY 1, Loyalty)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Pursuit of Peace"