The Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ship, also known as Acclamator-class Republic assault ship, Acclamator-class Planetary Assault Ship, or Acclamator-class battleship, or Acclamator-class cruiser, was a type of cruiser-class proto-Star Destroyer utilized by the Galactic Republic for ferrying clone troopers across the galaxy. They were first deployed at the First Battle of Geonosis after transporting the clone army from Kamino, and subsequently carried the Grand Army of the Republic from Coruscant to the various arenas of the Clone Wars, a conflict in which they would see extensive use. Unlike many ships of its size, the Acclamator-class could land on the surface of planets to deploy its forces.
- 1 Characteristics
- 2 History
- 2.1 Clone Wars
- 2.1.1 Action at Geonosis
- 2.1.2 Deployment to Christophsis and Teth
- 2.1.3 Landing on Ryloth
- 2.1.4 Return to Geonosis
- 2.1.5 Engagement on Saleucami
- 2.1.6 Battles of Kamino and Sullust
- 2.1.7 Battle of Umbara
- 2.1.8 Action on Kiros and Naboo
- 2.1.9 Relief mission to Aleen
- 2.1.10 Battle of Ringo Vinda
- 2.1.11 Action in the Ruusan system
- 2.2 Age of the Empire
- 2.1 Clone Wars
- 3 Behind the scenes
- 4 Appearances
- 5 Sources
- 6 Notes and references
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ship was developed by Rothana Heavy Engineering, a subsidiary of Kuat Drive Yards, and had a dagger-shaped design, of similar character to the Venator-class Star Destroyer. It was manned by a crew of 700, could ferry upwards of 16,000 clone troopers, and 48 AT-TEs, 66 LAAT/i gunships, 14 LAAT carriers, 320 speeder bikes, 36 SPHA-Ts, and at least one Nu-class shuttle, and had six months worth of consumables. In order to monitor ground movements and coordinate attacks, each clone trooper was equipped with a tracking device in their helmet that allowed controllers on Acclamator-class ships to better establish a picture of the combat zone. Their versatility and role as a troop transport proved essential during the Clone Wars. The cost of an Acclamator-class assault ships was 110,000,000 credits.
In order to defend itself against space-based attacks, the ship was armed with twelve quad turbolaser turrets, along with twenty-four laser cannons, and four missile launchers. The quad turbolaser turrets were located on the port and starboard sides of the hull, while the four missile launchers were located in the bow of the vessel. It was also equipped with extraordinarily fast twin hyperdrive engines. A notable weakness, as displayed during the Battle of Ryloth, was that Separatist J-1 proton cannons could easily penetrate the shields of an Acclamator-class assault ship.
Unlike many craft of its size, the Acclamator-class could land on the surface of planets, where it could unload its complement. The command tower was located toward the stern of the vessel, and was 752 meters in length, and could achieve sub-light speeds of 1,200 kilometers per hour. It had a ventral hangar opening as well as one on its port side.
History[edit | edit source]
Clone Wars[edit | edit source]
Action at Geonosis[edit | edit source]
During the First Battle of Geonosis in 22 BBY, which marked the end of the Separatist Crisis and the beginning of the Clone Wars, the Acclamator-class assault ship saw extensive use in the battle. There, twelve Acclamators were sent alongside Jedi Grand Master Yoda to Geonosis to reinforce the Jedi, where they transported a total of 192,000 clone troopers, 1,600 Low Altitude Assault Transport/i gunships, 400 Low Altitude Assault Transport carriers, 100 Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery Turbolasers, and 2,160 All Terrain Tactical Enforcers, eventually resulting in a victory for the Republic.
Deployment to Christophsis and Teth[edit | edit source]
Following the Battle of Geonosis, the Confederacy of Independent Systems blockaded the crystalline planet Christophsis as part of their attempts to take possession of the galaxy's major hyperspace routes. However, after Republic forces led by Jedi Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker broke through the blockade, they were left trapped, dwindling, and outnumbered on the planet's surface, where they fought the army of Kerkoiden General Whorm Loathsom. Amid the battle, the Jedi contacted the Jedi Temple on Coruscant requesting assistance, resulting in the fleet of Admiral Wurtz under Yoda and Admiral Wullf Yularen, which consisted of four Acclamator-class assault ships and three Venator-class Star Destroyers, being sent.
After their victory at Christophsis, Skywalker and his Padawan Ahsoka Tano were dispatched to the planet Teth aboard an Acclamator-class assault ship in order to rescue the Huttlet Rotta, the son of crime lord Jabba Desilijic Tiure.
Landing on Ryloth[edit | edit source]
- "Commander, the invasion fleet is coming out of hyperspace."
- ―Wullf Yularen to Ahsoka Tano, referring to the Republic invasion fleet
Later, during the Battle of Ryloth, after Skywalker and his fleet of three Venators managed to break through the Separatist blockade orbiting the planet, the Republic dispatched an invasion fleet of three Acclamators under Generals Mace Windu and Kenobi, which subsequently prepared to make their descent on the planet. However, while the three assault ships made their landing, the Separatists, using J-1 proton cannons, proceeded to fire on the invasion fleet, where they managed to break through the deflector shield of one of the assault ships, destroying one of its engines and the vessel in the process, which forced the remaining two to break off their descent, dispatching several LAAT/i gunships to the surface to destroy the cannons.
Kenobi, leading the 212th Attack Battalion's Ghost Company, soon managed to destroy the proton cannons after navigating through the Twi'lek settlement of Nabat, allowing the remaining ships to land on the surface, where the Republic would proceed to free Ryloth from the Confederacy's occupation.
Return to Geonosis[edit | edit source]
Later in the second year of the war, the Republic, having learned that the Confederacy, with help from the Trade Federation and the InterGalactic Banking Clan, were establishing a new droid factory on Geonosis, returned to the desert world with a fleet of ten Acclamators and six Venators under the command of Generals Kenobi, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Luminara Unduli, Skywalker, and Jedi Commanders Tano and Barriss Offee, in hopes of destroying the factory and retaking the planet from the Confederacy.
Exiting hyperspace, the Acclamators made their descent on the planet's surface, where the Jedi Generals proceeded to board their gunships while a fleet of carriers delivered All Terrain Tactical Enforcers down to the surface, which resulted in the costly destruction of the factory itself and the capture of Geonosian Archduke Poggle the Lesser by the end of the battle.
Engagement on Saleucami[edit | edit source]
Sometime later, after Separatist forces under the command of Kaleesh Separatist General Grievous captured Jedi Master Eeth Koth aboard his Star Destroyer, the Republic proceeded to dispatch Generals Kenobi and Skywalker, along with his fleet, to the planet Saleucami, where Grievous and his fleet awaited their arrival, in hopes of rescuing General Koth from the Separatists. However, despite their successes in rescuing Koth from the enemy flagship, Grievous managed to escape his doomed vessel to the planet's surface, where an Acclamator-class assault ship was sent to deploy Republic ground forces to locate and defeat the Kaleesh general. Once more, despite their efforts, Grievous managed to escape Saleucami and the Republic aboard a Sheathipede-class transport shuttle.
Battles of Kamino and Sullust[edit | edit source]
Sometime later, the Republic discovered that the Kaleesh Separatist General Grievous and the dark acolyte Asajj Ventress were planning to launch a second attack on the cloning planet of Kamino after their first attempts failed earlier in the war, in hopes of destroying the cloning facilities to tip the scales of the war in favor of the Confederacy. In response, the 501st Legion, under Generals Skywalker and Kenobi left for Kamino, were deployed to the planet aboard an Acclamator to reinforce Tipoca City from the attack. The Acclamator later participated in the battle with the Republic's blockade, where it engaged Grievous's fleet above the planet.
Later in the war, an Acclamator-class assault ship fought alongside the fleet of Anakin Skywalker in the Battle of Sullust against the Separatist fleet of Ventress, which resulted in the destruction of Skywalker's flagship, the Venator-class Star Destroyer Resolute.
Battle of Umbara[edit | edit source]
After the government of the planet Umbara seceded from the Republic in 20 BBY, following the death of Senator Mee Deechi, who represented the planet in the Galactic Senate, and aligned themselves with the Confederacy, which resulted in the establishment of a Separatist blockade. However, the blockade was later engaged by a fleet of three Venators and three Acclamators, which allowed one of the Acclamators to reach the planet's surface after punching a hole through the blockade, where it deployed ground forces to engage the native Umbaran combatants.
Action on Kiros and Naboo[edit | edit source]
Later on the planet Kiros, Separatist forces under Zygerrian Darts D'Nar arrived on the planet, where they proceeded to capture and transport all Togruta colonists to the planet Kadavo. However, not long after the Separatist invasion, Republic forces under Generals Kenobi and Skywalker arrived on the planet, where they utilized an Acclamator-class assault ship to deploy ground forces against the Separatist Droid Army.
Sometime later on Naboo, Republic forces, with the intent of ensuring Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's protection against a plot devised by Separatist Head of State Count Dooku to capture the Chancellor, dispatched Generals Windu and Skywalker, and his Padawan, alongside an Acclamator-class assault ship to Naboo, which was ferrying several All Terrain Tactical Enforcers and squads of clone troopers.
Relief mission to Aleen[edit | edit source]
After a series of devastating groundquakes rocked the planet Aleen, the Republic received a distress signal from the native Aleena who were requesting aid. As a result, Clone Commander Wolffe and the clones of 104th Battalion were sent with a lone Acclamator-class assault ship and three Pelta-class frigates to deliver relief supplies and install new equipment in their communications center.
Battle of Ringo Vinda[edit | edit source]
Later in the final year of the war, Republic forces under the command of Generals Skywalker, Tiplar and Tiplee, engaged Separatist forces led by Harch Admiral Trench at the planet Ringo Vinda. There, the Republic utilized a fleet of twenty Venator-class Star Destroyers, an Arquitens-class light cruiser, three Consular-class cruisers and a single Acclamator-class assault ship against Trench's fleet, while the Jedi and their clone forces engaged the Separatist Droid Army on the Ringo Vinda space station.
Action in the Ruusan system[edit | edit source]
Sometime during the war, Republic and Separatist forces engaged one another in the Ruusan system. The Republic's forces, which consisted of at least one Venator, one Acclamator, and at least two Low Altitude Assault Transports, fought against at least one Lucrehulk-class Battleship. Around 3 ABY during the Imperial Era, the Nautolan bounty hunter Nakano Lash hid amongst the wreckage of the battle.
Age of the Empire[edit | edit source]
By the time of the Imperial Era, the Acclamator-class assault ship was considered to be an old model. The wreckage of an Acclamator was left in the Wastelands Of Kullgroon. Despite the ship model's age, at least one, the Lodestar, was still active during the Galactic Civil War, serving as the flagship of New Republic General Hera Syndulla's Barma Battle Group.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ship first appeared in the 2002 episodic film, Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. Initially referred to as the "Jedi troop transport," the triangular shape of the starship was intended to be a nod to the Imperial Star Destroyers of the original trilogy. They were later identified in the 2015 canon reference book, Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy, authored by Benjamin Harper.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Acclamator-class assault ship)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy (First identified as Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ship)
- Lead by Example
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Databank A-Z: Saw Gerrera–Commander Gree) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Helmets: Phase I Clone Trooper) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Acclamator-class Republic assault ship)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 33 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Republic Fleet)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 37 (Weapons & Uniforms: Republic Ground Vehicles)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 40 (Helmets: Clone Pilot; Highlights of the Saga: Battle on Geonosis)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Rise of the Separatists
- Collapse of the Republic (First identified as Acclamator-class Planetary Assault Ship)
- Star Wars Bust Collection 2 (Star Wars Universe: Stormtroopers) (Picture only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Lead by Example
- Star Wars: Armada – Galactic Republic Fleet Starter (Card: )
- Alphabet Squadron
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Collapse of the Republic
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the Battle of Mon Cala and the skirmish in Theed to 20 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the episodes the other events are attached to according to , this event must also take place 20 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Kidnapped"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crisis on Naboo"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the trial of Ahsoka Tano and the mission to Utapau to 19 BBY. As the episode this event takes place within takes place between the events of the episodes the other events are attached to according to , this event must take place in 19 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the beginning of the Clone Wars to 22 BBY, and the end of the Clone Wars to 19 BBY. As Bounty Hunters 4 states that the battle in the Ruusan system took place during the Clone Wars, it must have taken place between 22 and 19 BBY.
- Bounty Hunters 4
- The events of Bounty Hunters 3 take place shortly after the the Escape from Cloud City, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 3 ABY. Therefore, the events of the comic and the following issue take place in approximately the same year.
- Lando - Double or Nothing 2