- "Being an Ace is not all fun and games, Kaz. They also have to help bring in shipments, patrol the skies. It can be dangerous."
- ―Neeku Vozo
Ace Squadron, also known as the Aces, was a starfighter squadron employed by the Colossus refueling station as a defense force during the age of the New Republic. The squadron consisted of the five pilots Hype Fazon, Freya Fenris, Griff Halloran, Bo Keevil, and Torra Doza. Besides their defense and escort work, Ace Squadron also participated in the station's numerous races.
Ace Squadron was a starfighter squadron that defended the Colossus refueling station on the planet Castilon and also escorted critical shipments. They were also tasked with the handling of critical shipments. The squadron consisted of the five best pilots—Hype Fazon, Torra Doza, Freya Fenris, Griff Halloran, and Bo Keevil—in the facility. They were also considered as some of the most talented pilots in the galaxy. Aside from their role in station security, the Aces were known to engage in competitive starship racing for leisure.
Ace Squadron had five racers which doubled as starfighters: Fazon's Green Ace, Doza's Blue Ace, Fenris' Red Ace, Halloran's Black Ace, and Keevil's Yellow Ace. Ace Squadron resided in the luxurious Doza Tower where they relaxed in the Aces' Lounge.
Juggling defense and racingEdit
During the New Republic era, Ace Squadron defended the Colossus from a raid by Kragan Gorr's Warbird pirate gang. While Ace Squadron was escorting a fuel shipment, the Warbirds raided the Colossus a second time but were repelled by Team Fireball and the undercover pirate Synara San. These raids led Captain Imanuel Doza to consider the First Order's protection offer. Later, Ace Squadron took part in defending the Colossus from the enraged rokkna mother who was seeking her child Bibo during the "Bibo incident."
Besides their defensive role, Ace Squadron participated in several races including a race with undercover Resistance spy Kazuda Xiono and the Platform Classic featuring Marcus Speedstar. One of their members Torra was kidnapped by the Warbirds at the behest of the First Order. Her comrades pursued the pirates but the First Order managed to rescue Torra. This forced Captain Doza to consent to the First Order's occupation of the Colossus.
The First Order occupationEdit
After the First Order arrived at the Colossus in order to provide security, races were suspended and all starfighters were grounded. Fazon protested, and was arrested by stormtroopers. He was able to escape captivity with the help of Resistance agents. When the Colossus resistance led by Xiono deliberately sunk the Colossus into the ocean, the Aces scrambled to their stations.
Following the sinking of the Colossus, Commander Pyre ordered the imprisonment of Ace Squadron, deeming them a threat to the First Order. However, Torra managed to escape and join Xiono. After the Colossus resistance retook the station, Ace Squadron and Xiono's Fireball starfighter participated in a dogfight with First Order starfighters during the Colossus' escape from Castilon. They then escaped with the Colossus into hyperspace.
Shortly afterward, the Colossus' hyperdrive ran out of coaxium fuel, stranding it near D'Qar while they ran low on supplies and the First Order continued their quest to capture or destroy the station.
After limping into the Ileenium system, the crew discovered the remnants of a fierce battle and a destroyed Resistance base. Xiono hatched a plan to recover coaxium from a downed First Order dreadnought. After Pyre's Star Destroyer arrived in the system, the Aces were scrambled to defend the salvage team from attacking TIE fighters. Once the team returned to the Colossus and refueled the engines, the Aces landed back aboard, allowing them to escape back into hyperspace.
Eventually, after the Skirmish over D'Qar, they were assigned a new member, Kazuda Xiono, and a new instructor, Jarek Yeager, to take advantage of his experience. Their first cooperative exercise was a disaster, with the two newcomers getting the drop on the squadron. After Yeager split them into pairs, they learned to act together, saving the instructor after his craft was grabbed by a jakoosk.
After the depot was sabotaged, the Aces were scrambled to defend it from Pyre's Star Destroyer while the engineering team restored functionality.
Doza subsequently ordered the station to hide in the Outer Rim. As they deployed a beacon at a rendezvous point, the Aces were forced to defend it until they were beaten back, landing back aboard the station to escape.
As the Colossus continued hiding in the Outer Rim, the station traveled through Guavian Death Space. Their home was attacked by the Gang, and when Captain Doza refused to give into their demands, the Aces were scrambled. Using Kaz's guidance, they took out all the attacking fighter ships.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "The Aces are a group of pilots amongst the best in the galaxy...They're all reluctant resistance members. They didn't want this. It's sort of been thrust upon them because of the First Order."
- ―The Aces featurette
Ace Squadron was created and developed for the animated series Star Wars Resistance. The first footage of the squad was released on August 17, 2018. Further details regarding the pilots that formed the squadron were released on September 14, 2018.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars Resistance – "Live Fire"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars Resistance – "The High Tower"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars Resistance – "The Triple Dark"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars Resistance – "Synara's Score"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Resistance – "Bibo"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars Resistance – "The First Order Occupation"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars Resistance – "No Escape: Part 2"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Star Wars Resistance – "A Quick Salvage Run"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance executive producers stated at a Lucasfilm press event that the show's first season began six months before Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which took place in 34 ABY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas and ended during the events of the film itself. Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition established the events of the Premiere, which saw the inclusion of Ace Squadron, took place after the Mission to Megalox Beta. Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious dated that mission to 8011 C.R.C., the equivalent of 34 ABY in another dating system. This means the entirety of Star Wars Resistance's first season, including "The Recruit" and "The Doza Dilemma," takes place in 34 ABY.
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Escape"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Platform Classic"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Disappeared"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "Descent"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "No Escape: Part 1"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "Into the Unknown"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Engineer"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "Rendezvous Point"
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "Kaz's Curse"