- "Obviously there were no acid-beets to make the customary side dish; indeed, I do not know that Vjun exports them any longer."
- ―Fidelis explains the lack of side dish for the Crêpes Malreaux he created
Acid-beets were a species of root vegetable from the planet Vjun that were grown in the acid rain that fell on their homeworld. The beets could be eaten by members of the Besalisk species. They were used as ingredients in a side dish customarily served with Crêpes Malreaux, a dish invented by the FIII Footman droid Fidelis for the Ninth count Malreaux, one of the many members of House Malreaux who owned the droid.
In 19 BBY, Fidelis made the Crêpes for the Jedi Whie Malreaux and Tallisibeth Enwandung-Esterhazy on board the B-7 light freighter Nighthawk, though he lacked acid-beets to make the side dish he would normally serve and was unsure if they were even still exported from Vjun. A dish called acid-beet salad was served on the planet Coruscant in Dex's Diner for 3.5 credits until the diner's destruction during the first two years of the Galactic Empire's rule. The Besalisk owner of the establishment, Dexter Jettster, considered the meal delicious.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 9 ("acid-beet")
- Besalisk Dexter Jettster filled his menu with the foods that he enjoyed eating the most during his travels to different planets. establishes that the
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
- The Essential Reader's Companion dates the events of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, which includes the mention of acid-beets, to 19 BBY.
- The Last of the Jedi: Underworld established that Dex's Diner was destroyed by the Galactic Empire. The Essential Reader's Companion later stated that the novel took place around the year 18 BBY. The New Essential Chronology states that the Empire was formed in 19 BBY, so Dex's Diner was destroyed either during 19 BBY or 18 BBY.