The Ackbar Slash was a space warfare tactical maneuver devised by Admiral Gial Ackbar. It involved driving a battle line through the center of the enemy formation, a move that was ideally suited to the Alliance to Restore the Republic's Mon Calamari Star Cruisers due to their multiple deflector shield generators. As the line drove through the enemy formation, the attacking ships delivered broadsides to the enemy on both sides. Return fire from the enemy only came from those ships either side of the attacking line, as ships on the outer edges of the enemy formation were out of optimum firing position. There also were instances wherein starfighters used the same tactic when outnumbered.
The main disadvantage of the Ackbar Slash was the possibility that the lead vessel in the line could be disabled or destroyed, leading the following ships to break formation to avoid collision. In that instance, the attacking force was at risk of being destroyed by an enemy that had managed to retain its formation and command and control.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: Wraith Squadron (Mentioned only)
- Legacy 47: The Fate of Dac (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual