- "Both of you showed valor out there. Real courage. You remind me of me, actually."
"Echo, Fives. You're both officially being made ARC troopers."
- ―CT-7567 and CC-2224, promoting CT-1409 and CT-5555 to the ARC trooper ranks
Advanced Recon Commandos, also known as ARC troopers, were an elite variant of the clone troopers that served the Galactic Republic. Chosen from the ranks of the Grand Army of the Republic, the status of ARC trooper was bestowed on clones who served with distinction on the battlefield, such as CT-1409 "Echo" and CT-5555 "Fives." The training of clone cadets also served as a means for identifying particular cadets who demonstrated the potential to become future ARC troopers.
ARC troopers such as Captain CT-7567 "Rex" were trained to serve in positions of command in the Grand Army, and could also be sent on challenging assignments less suitable for standard clones. They were given their own unique armor set, which differed greatly from the standard issue kit given to the rank-and-file clone soldiers, being equipped with more components. During the early days of the Clone Wars, ARC trooper armor served as an experimental version of the Phase II clone trooper armor.
An elite variant of the standard clone trooper, Advanced Recon Commandos—also known as ARC troopers—were widely regarded as the best soldiers in the Grand Army of the Republic. During the Clone Wars, the ARC troopers trained the first wave of Clone Commanders, such as CC-5052 "Bly." The Rancor Battalion had several ARC troopers, including Clone ARC Commanders "Colt," "Havoc," "Blitz," and another ARC trooper. These ARC troopers were stationed at Tipoca City on Kamino. There they looked for clone cadets that could become ARC troopers, such as Bravo Squad.
Colt and the other ARC troopers supported the defense of Tipoca City against a Separatist invasion led by General Grievous and the Force-sensitive assassin Asajj Ventress. However, Colt was killed by Ventress while Havoc died fighting a group of aqua droids. Blitz, the last of the ARC troopers during the attack, ordered two ARF troopers to destroy a Trident-class assault ship. In the aftermath of the battle, CT-1409 "Echo" and CT-5555 "Fives" of the 501st Legion were upgraded to the status of ARC trooper in recognition of their contribution to the Galactic Republic's victory on Kamino.
Echo and Fives were later sent on a mission to rescue Jedi Master Even Piell from the Citadel on Lola Sayu. The two fought their way through the Citadel. However, Echo was presumed to have died in an explosion while attempting to secure a shuttle. He survived the blast, but was captured and subjected to experimentation on by the Separatist-aligned Techno Union. Fives, on the other hand, escaped with the surviving members of his team.
Fives continued serving in the 501st, from Umbara to Ringo Vinda, until his death on Coruscant, where he tried to reveal Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's role in the bio-chip conspiracy to Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and Clone Captain CT-7567 "Rex." After the death of Fives, CT-5597 "Jesse"—also of the 501st—was promoted to ARC trooper. He continued serving as a Lieutenant in the 501st during the Battle of Anaxes and through the Siege of Mandalore as part of the 332nd Company. Following his brief capture by Maul, Jesse took part in guarding the former Sith while en route to Coruscant. When the Sith Lord Darth Sidious issued Order 66, Jesse took command of the 332nd and other troopers from Commander Rex on a Venator-class Star Destroyer. However, the Star Destroyer crashed on a moon and Jesse was killed.
ARC troopers were equipped with ARC trooper armor, a variant of the clone trooper armor. ARC trooper armor included Phase I ARC Trooper Armor and Phase II ARC Trooper Armor. The armor could be outfitted with a double-sided pauldron, a kama, and breathmask survival gear. Each ARC trooper utilized a pair of DC-17 hand blasters, a DC-15A blaster rifle, and a DC-15A blaster.
Behind the scenesEdit
According to Genndy Tartakovsky on the DVD commentary for Star Wars: Clone Wars Volume Two, whose story is now considered part of the continuity of Star Wars Legends and not canon, the design of the ARC troopers came from Hasbro. They first appeared as Advanced Recon Commandos in the Legends story Republic 50: The Defense of Kamino, a comic from the Star Wars: Republic series by Dark Horse Comics. In canon, they appeared in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, first seen in "Clone Cadets."
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Advanced Recon Commando)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 8 (Databank A-Z: Bric–C-3PO)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 10 (Databank A-Z: Chewbacca–Cloud City)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 11 (Databank A-Z: Rush Clovis–Coruscant)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Grand Army of the Republic)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 18 (Databank A-Z: First Order–Fyrnocks)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 5 (Droid Directory: 2-1B-series Medical Droids, Part 1) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 27 (Helmets: Commander Gree; Helmets: In Pictures)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Rise of the Separatists
- Collapse of the Republic
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Helmets: Commander Ponds)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Transformations (Card: ARC Trooper Fives—ARC-5555)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Transformations (Card: ARC Trooper Echo—Courageous and Resolute)
- Star Wars: Legion – ARC Troopers Unit Expansion
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Begun, The Clone Wars Have!
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Victory and Death"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Clone Cadets"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Distant Echo"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Darkness on Umbara"
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Orders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Old Friends Not Forgotten"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Phantom Apprentice"
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shattered"
- ↑ Knights of Fate
- ↑ Collapse of the Republic