An advanced proton torpedo was a type of torpedo used by starfighters during the Galactic Civil War. Compared to standard proton torpedoes, they had a higher blast rating and exit velocity, though they were capable of tracking a target for less time.
The commander of the Rebel Alliance's Rogue Squadron, Luke Skywalker, utilized the advanced torpedoes in his T-65B X-wing starfighter. He acquired an upgrade for his proton torpedoes during the Battle of Corellia around six months after the pivotal Battle of Yavin.
Maarek Stele, when often facing enemy TIE/D Defenders in an Assault Gunboat or TIE Avenger, often replaced the standard load of advanced concussion missiles for advanced proton torpedoes. While ordinary and advanced torpedoes were not designed for use against enemy starfighters, Stele used his tractor beam weapon to snare the opposing fighter, and one advanced torpedo was enough to take out a full-strength TIE Defender. This gave Stele more hitting power, as his craft could carry 6-12 torpedoes compared to 8-16 missiles.
Behind the scenesEdit
Advanced proton torpedoes first appeared in Star Wars: TIE Fighter as a more powerful proton torpedo. They served the same role in the later Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance. In Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, proton torpedoes may be upgraded to the advanced version if the player picks up the upgrade during the Corellian mission. Acquiring the technology is required for the mission's gold medal, and this article assumes the player did so. The technology may also be acquired in the game's sequels, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike.
- Star Wars: Starfighter
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: The Official Nintendo Player's Guide
- Starfighter: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – B-Wing Expansion Pack (Card: Advanced Proton Torpedoes)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Bomber Expansion Pack (Card: Advanced Proton Torpedoes)