As mandated by the Corellian Treaty, the Council's seven members were chosen as representatives of the Allied governments "who have given the most lives to the battle against the Emperor." By this definition, Princess Leia Organa should have taken a seat on the Council, as Alderaan was still considered to be an Allied government even after its destruction. However, she refused the position, preferring to focus her efforts elsewhere.
Legally, the Council's only power was to approve or disapprove of the Chief of State's policy decisions, and could remove the Chief of State and call for a new election with a two-thirds majority. The Treaty also mandated that after the Alliance's victory, the Council would assume Executive Power and convene a Constitutional Convention to determine the shape of the Second Galactic Republic that would be formed.
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook
- The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook