- "Your father would be proud of who you've become."
"Ah, my father had maybe seen me once since my spawning. His focus was elsewhere. But I knew him. I studied every battle--every victory."
- ―Leia Organa and Aftab Ackbar, on Gial Ackbar
Aftab Ackbar was a Mon Calamari male who was the son of Admiral Gial Ackbar. Ackbar only saw his father once after his spawning where he begged him to retire from Resistance service. Gial refused as the admiral's focus was elsewhere. However, Aftab still felt he knew his father through study of his military service. In the aftermath of the Battle of Crait, whilst the Resistance was in need of help, Aftab supplied them with a number of starships from Mon Cala. But his planet's freedom soon came to end when First Order spies contacted General Hux about the Resistance taking refuge on the planet, sparking a race for Leia and her band to quickly escape the water planet with the starships provided. With a close and daring escape, the Resistance escaped leaving the planet vulnerable to the First Order. Later, Aftab served as colonel in the Resistance, and was referred to as "Junior" amicably by Commander Poe Dameron, whom the Mon Calamari aided as a B-Wing pilot during the encounter with the Final Order on Exegol. After the battle he celebrated on the jungle moon, Ajan Kloss.
Personality and traitsEdit
Aftab Ackbar greatly admired his father Gial, and implored him to retire after a brief stint with the Resistance. When Gial was killed, Aftab felt a deep personal loss, and took it upon himself to live up to his father's legacy. Ackbar was a Mon Calamari male with brown eyes. His eyes were bulbous and provided him a 180-degree arc of vision.
Behind the scenesEdit
Aftab Ackbar was created for the 2019 film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker, the third and final installment of the Star Wars sequel trilogy. He is voiced by Chris Terrio, the film's screenwriter. He was first mentioned in the 2019 junior novel Spark of the Resistance. And was first pictured on the cover for Allegiance 1, illustrated by Marco Checchetto, though did not appear in the comic itself. The character pictured on the cover of Allegiance 1 was identified as Aftab Ackbar in Allegiance 2, written by Ethan Sacks, illustrated by Luke Ross, and published on October 16, 2019.
Early in the filmmaking process for The Rise of Skywalker, director J.J. Abrams and screenwriter Chris Terrio discussed Admiral Ackbar's death and wondered if the character could have had a child; resulting in Aftab Ackbar. Originally, Terrio was only temporarily used to voice Ackbar, but Abrams decided to keep it.
- Allegiance 1 (First appearance) (Cover only)
- Allegiance 2
- Allegiance 3
- Allegiance 4
- Spark of the Resistance (First mentioned, simultaneous with Spark of the Resistance audiobook)
- Spark of the Resistance audiobook (First mentioned, simultaneous with Spark of the Resistance)
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Allegiance 2
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Allegiance 4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Spark of the Resistance
- ↑ Allegiance 1
- ↑ Anthony Breznican, Joanna Robinson (December 19, 2019). 25 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Cameos You Might Have Missed. Archived from the original on February 20, 2020.
- ↑ Life-size cardboard standee of Mon Cal General™ (Star Wars IX). Advanced Graphics. Archived from the original on October 6, 2019.