- "Who's your friend?"
"General Airen Cracken. Head of Security and Intelligence for the Rebellion."
- ―Han Solo and Leia Organa
- "This is the pilot causing us so much distress? I'm underwhelmed to say the least."
- ―Airen Cracken upon meeting Han Solo
Even before the Alliance to Restore the Republic was established, the male human Airen Cracken was an accomplished freedom fighter. It was he who led the planetary militia that freed his homeworld from the oppression of the Galactic Empire, which led him to be fast-tracked to a general's commission within the Alliance Military.
By the time of the Battle of Scarif, Cracken served as the Chief of Rebel Intelligence. Cracken was personally involved in setting up spy networks throughout the Outer Rim, so Rebel Intelligence was represented on the rebel council by one of his trusted field operatives, General Davits Draven. Despite his absence, he still compiled a dossier regarding Operation Fracture at Mon Mothma's request.
Sometime after the Battle of Yavin, while serving in his capacity of Head of Security and Intelligence and confronted with the responsibility of rescuing three rebel spies in danger of capture by the Empire, Cracken showed reluctance in recruiting smuggler Han Solo for the mission. However, he was convinced by Princess Leia Organa, citing the fact that they were running out of options and out of time.
During the Battle of Endor, Cracken served aboard the Millennium Falcon with Lieutenant Blount. The two were initially in the ship's cockpit with its pilot, General Lando Calrissian, co-pilot Nien Nunb, and a navigator, but they soon manned the ship's quad turrets and served as gunners.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Star Wars Legends continuity, the character of General Airen Cracken was created for the 1991 sourcebook Cracken's Rebel Field Guide, and an unnamed Rebel aboard the Millennium Falcon in Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, played by Michael Stevens, was later consolidated with that character. Current Star Wars continuity has maintained the identity of General Cracken for that Rebel from Jedi.
The 2018 reference book Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition states that Cracken was a spy and colonel who flew missions for General Crix Madine's Rebel Commandos and was later promoted to general and Chief of Rebel Intelligence. This, however, contradicts various sources including Star Wars: The Rebel Files that had established Cracken was already Chief and a general since the early days of the Alliance.
- Han Solo, Part I (First identified as Airen)
- Han Solo, Part III
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (First identified as Cracken)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: General Cracken (★★★★) (link))
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy From A To Z
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: General Cracken)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Han Solo, Part I
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, p. 182
- ↑ Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
- ↑ "Making Star Wars: Return of the Jedi Unseen!"—Star Wars Insider 141, pg.30
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Death Star II Limited (Card: Colonel Cracken)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files