Anatomy and biologyEdit
- "The one I struck has barely slowed down! Lightsabers have little effect on those thick hides!"
- ―Depa Billaba
Scaled reptomammals native to Haruun Kal, akk dogs were Force-sensitive and thus capable of being domesticated by the native Korunnai. Great companions to these nomadic people, maturing from pups to Hounds in two to four months, akks were used for protection—not only of the tribe, but of the great grasser herds shepherded through the jungles by Korun herders.
Akk dogs had triangular teeth in jaws strong enough to crush durasteel; large black tongues; scaly hides that could block a lightsaber; armored, muscular tails the length of their body; shovel-sized splayed claws; and armored, lidless eyes. Their bodies were as long as landspeeders. Their heads had six vestigial horns arranged in a triangular pattern, and they had olfactory pits next to their nose. Akk dogs had two smaller varieties, and were also related to akk wolves.
Akk dogs and Galactic historyEdit
- "I can't fit what I know of Haruun Kal into a guidebook description. Too much of what I know is the color of the sunflash and the smell of the wind off Grandfather's Shoulder, the silken ripple of a grasser's undercoat through my fingers, the hot fierce sting of an akk dog's Force-touch."
- ―Private Journals of Mace Windu
Following the Ruusan Reformations of the Galactic Republic, akks were often seen as companion to Jedi Knights, forming a Force bond like that seen between the Korunnai on the akks' homeworld. Akk dogs were studied by the esteemed biologist and Jedi Master Bowspritz during his visit to the Exploration Corps compound on Ord Canfre.
Illegal trade of akks reached new heights around 32 BBY, as smugglers on Nar Shaddaa sent the hounds off to various worlds, most notably the Dug homeworld of Malastare. While on Malastare dealing with the unrelated matter of the Red Iaro terrorist group, several members of the Jedi High Council were attacked by several akk dogs. Due to his Korun heritage, Master Mace Windu was able to calm the hounds, but became deeply troubled by their use as attackers. Taking it upon himself to investigate the increased smuggling of these creatures, Windu traveled to Nar Shaddaa in hopes of shutting down the black market there. Meeting with fellow Jedi Depa Billaba and Quinlan Vos, Windu commandeered a speeder bike to reach the Circus Horrificus complex, where mutant akk dogs were being used. Along with his brother and sister Jedi, Windu confronted Gargonn the Hutt, the leader of the smuggling ring, and shut down his operation.
Inspired by the ferociousness of akk dogs, the Skaak Tippers slicer gang incorporated the word "aak" into the name of their gang so as to give the impression that they were a pack of ferocious computer hackers.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- Star Wars 16: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 4 (First appearance)
- Star Wars 17: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 5
- Star Wars 18: Emissaries to Malastare, Part 6
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars novel (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: No Prisoners (Mentioned only)
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Mentioned only)
- SkyeWalkers: A Clone Wars Story (Mentioned only)
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- Imperial Commando: 501st
- Evasive Action: Prey (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (Mentioned only)
- Scourge (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Revelation (Mentioned only) (as Akk)
- Millennium Falcon (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (Mentioned only) (as Aak Dog)
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 140 (HUT17, The Hutts)
- The New Essential Chronology
- CorSec Database A-G
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia