- "We are Alderaan. We answer rage with wisdom. We answer fear with imagination. We answer war with hope. If one life with a single drop of Alderaanian blood survives, Alderaan survives. If one life with a passion for Alderaanian creativity survives, Alderaan survives. And we are, each of us, important. And whatever happens, I bow to all of you—and to our future."
- ―Princess Leia Organa, after the destruction of Alderaan
Alderaanians were a cultural group of humans native to the planet Alderaan. Known for their pacifistic values and devotion to the arts, prominent individuals included Viceroy Bail Prestor Organa and his wife, Queen Breha Organa, who were the adoptive parents of Princess Leia Organa. They were driven to the brink of extinction by the destruction of their homeworld by the Galactic Empire in 0 BBY, with only a few scattered remnants across the galaxy being all that remained of the pacifistic people.
Society and culture
The Alderaanians were a pacifist society, one devoted to the fine arts and to philosophy, and freely shared their knowledge with others. They were also careful to live in harmony with their planet, which was renowned for its untarnished beauty.
Early in their history, the Alderaanians employed soldiers like most other cultures, before gradually developing into a pacifist society. Over time, Alderaanians became noted for sharing their knowledge with the rest of the Galactic community.
Throughout history, a number of Alderaanians emigrated to other planets, founding communities and exporting their unique culture far from their homeworld. Such offworld communities notably existed on Naboo and Sullust. Generations before the Galactic Civil War, a number of Alderaanians also established their presence on the planet of Espirion, which was known for being open to refugees and wanderers. There, they intermarried with the natives, a species of red-skinned humanoids with tapered ears. As a result, a population of half-Alderaanians, exhibiting non-human characteristics, arose on Espirion. In the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, their community was led by Chief Beon Beonel.
When Alderaan was destroyed by the Galactic Empire to test the capabilities of their new Death Star battle station, most Alderaanians perished along with their home planet. Some of them, however, were offworld at the time of the planet's destruction. Shortly after the Battle of Yavin, during which the Rebel Alliance retaliated against the Empire and destroyed the Death Star, Princess Leia Organa set off on a mission to rescue the surviving sons and daughters of Alderaan.
Some Alderaanians who served in the Alliance to Restore the Republic wore a tattoo of the Rebel Alliance starbird beneath their left eye to symbolise the planet they came from and the people they lost. This became widespread enough that Imperial veterans were able to recognise the tattoo on sight and know that the wearer came from Alderaan, as was the case with an Imperial shuttle pilot confronted by Carasynthia Dune.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third
- Angry Birds Star Wars
- William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope
- William Shakespeare's The Empire Striketh Back: Star Wars Part the Fifth
- William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return: Star Wars Part the Sixth
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO STAR WARS: Celebrate the Season – "Reindeer Walker"
- LEGO STAR WARS: Celebrate the Season – "New Year's Hothin' Eve"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Crossing Paths"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Return of the Jedi"
- A Vader Family Sithmas
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "The Power at Jakku"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga