- "…the algae allows us to breathe oxygen beneath the surface for several minutes."
Algae were a group of organisms that typically grew underwater and liked to cover the surfaces of objects. Once thought to be plants, they were classified separately as far back as 32 BBY. Algae could also be airborne, living on water droplets and chemical vapors floating in the atmosphere. Additionally, algae grew on objects out of water, sometimes dangling from structures in strands up to several hundred meters in length and creating virtual "forests" of algae.
- "The life energy distilled from concentrated banks of algae and other primitive life-forms can prevent the decay common to previous soul-captures."
While it was preyed upon for sustenance by some plants and animals, some species of algae thrived in a commensal relation with other species, including the Melodies of Yavin 13, to which the algae provided life-sustaining oxygen. Furthermore, varieties such as the bestrum algae from Baralou were broken down and processed into foods for consumption, and dried algae extracts were used to create algae sugar for use in alcohol fermentation. Algae-bread was especially favored by Herglics, who also made algae ice cream.
Sometime before the P'w'eck Emancipation Movement in 28 ABY, the process of Ssi-ruuk entechment was improved upon by harvesting the life energy emitted by algae to prevent the decay of captured souls.
A more advanced form of algae could be found in the Cygnus B system. It contained a planet with oceans inhabited by giant sapient algae beds. Similarly, the planet Paulking XIV of the Corporate Sector had oceans filled with talking algae.
Types of algaeEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One
- The Star Wars Planets Collection
- "Smuggler's Log"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 4
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back, Second Edition
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Lords of the Expanse
- Alien Anthology
- A Campaign Guide to the Centrality"—Star Wars Gamer 5 "
- Standoff on Leritor"—Star Wars Gamer 10 "
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Enter the Unknown
- Suns of Fortune
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Episode I: The Gungan Frontier
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Therefore I Am: The Tale of IG-88
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Young Jedi Knights: Trouble on Cloud City
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Boba Fett: Crossfire
- ↑ Dark Apprentice
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
- ↑ The New Rebellion
- ↑ Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen
- ↑ I, Jedi
- ↑ Junior Jedi Knights: Lyric's World
- ↑ Planets of the Galaxy, Volume One
- ↑ Planet of Twilight
- ↑ Lords of the Expanse
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee
- ↑ Cantina Communications
- ↑ A Campaign Guide to the Centrality
- Algae on Wikipedia