The AT-ST/A's legs had greater reinforcement, and its gyro-stabilizing systems were improved from the original design. It was also fitted with enclosed viewports for added protection of the crew.
Rebel spies first spotted the vehicle early in the Galactic Civil War, but variants of the AT-ST/A design would continue to be deployed throughout the conflict, even participating in the devastating Imperial in-fighting on Coruscant in 10 ABY.
Behind the scenes
Ultimately, a slightly different look was chosen and the Expanded Universe recycled the designs into a bigger, stronger AT-ST variant, more suited for an assault-role.
- Star Wars: Assault Team (First appearance)
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels (First mentioned)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 38 (ATS2, All Terrain Scout Transport (AT-ST))
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- The Art of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi