The Alpha-3 Nimbus-class starfighter was a sturdy, wedge-shaped starfighter manufactured by Kuat Systems Engineering, the same company responsible for both the Delta-7 fighter and its successor, the Eta-2 Actis-class interceptor.
Much like the larger Star Courier of Sienar Fleet Systems, the V-wing had folding radiator wings, two ion engines, and laser cannons. The V-wing did not have a built-in hyperdrive, and required transportation into combat zones by carriers such as the Venator-class Star Destroyer. To maximize power for speed and agility, Kuat produced the starfighter without a pressurized cockpit. This required pilots to wear sealed flight suits equipped with life-support systems.
Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wings were first deployed by the Galactic Republic in the final days of the Clone Wars—serving in the Battle of Coruscant against the Confederacy of Independent Systems—and continued to see use under the Galactic Empire. V-wings were also utilized as escort fighters for Emperor Palpatine's personal Theta-class T-2c shuttle.
In the following years, V-wings were gradually replaced by TIE/ln space superiority starfighters. The Alpha-3 Nimbus was little more than a single pilot fuselage pod sitting on vertically stacked ion engines flanked by deployable, heat radiating, stability foils. The V-wing was designed for speed and agility, at the expense of a reliable life support system or hyperdrive. The pilot instead relied on a sealed flight suit in case of ejection.
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Lords of the Sith
- "Mercy Mission"—The Rise of the Empire
- Age of Rebellion - Darth Vader 1
- Thrawn, Part I
- Target Vader 2 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Galaxy's Edge 3 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Rebels: A New Hero (Picture only)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Alpha-3 Nimbus)
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as Alpha-3 Nimbus-class V-wing starfighter)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: Destiny – Convergence (Card: )
- (First identified as V-wing starfighter)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6
- ↑ Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 TIE Fighter Owners' Workshop Manual
- ↑ Lords of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Tarkin