- "Captain Alyord Smythe. First Lieutenant Denn Maskar. Second Lieutenant Samnel Peers. Second Lieutenant—"
"What? What is it? […]"
"They're all dead. I'd forgotten, is all."
- ―Shakara Nuress and Nath Tensent
Alyord Smythe was a human TIE fighter pilot and captain in the Galactic Empire's 204th Imperial Fighter Wing. Six months before the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Smythe and eleven other TIE pilots took part in the defense of the Trenchenovu shipyards, having been loaned to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Sanction. Smythe's squadron massacred an attacking squadron of rebel BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bombers, with only the rebel pilot Nath Tensent escaping. At some point in the seven months after Trenchenovu, Smythe perished.
- "How can they all be dead?"
"Seven months is a long time for a TIE pilot."
"But your guys were good."
- ―Nath Tensent and Shakara Nuress discuss Smythe's squadron
During the Galactic Civil War, the human Alyord Smythe served as a TIE fighter pilot with the rank of captain in the Galactic Empire's 204th Imperial Fighter Wing. Six months prior to the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Smythe and eleven TIE pilots were loaned to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Sanction by 204th Colonel Shakara Nuress to defend the Trenchenovu shipyards against an anticipated Rebel Alliance attack.
When the attack came, Smythe's squadron ambushed the attacking squadron of BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bombers as it attempted a bombing run on the Trenchenovu shipyards. The rebel bombers were cut off from their initial escape route by the Sanction, and so flew through to the other side of the shipyards. Smythe and the other TIE pilots made chase, killing all of the enemy pilots aside from Nath Tensent, who escaped into hyperspace.
Smythe, along with the other eleven TIE pilots who had fought at Trenchenovu, perished at some point in the following seven months. Tensent confronted Nuress after those seven months, asking for the names of the pilots who had massacred his squadron so that he could get revenge on them. When the colonel revealed to him that the twelve pilots, including Smythe, were already dead, Tensent fatally shot her instead after she confirmed that she had approved the Smythe's squadron's deployment to Trenchenovu.
Behind the scenes
- Alphabet Squadron (First mentioned, simultaneous with Alphabet Squadron audiobook)
- Alphabet Squadron audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall (Indirect mention only)
- Shadow Fall audiobook (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Alphabet Squadron establishes that Alyord Smythe died between the battle at Trenchenovu, which took place six months before the Battle of Endor, and the attack on Pandem Nai, which occurred around seven months after Trenchenovu, thus around a month after Endor. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY, so Smythe must have perished around 4 ABY.
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition establishes that the TIE fighter pilots of the Galactic Empire were all humans.
- Alphabet Squadron
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas