Annikin Starkiller was the son of Kane Starkiller and the Jedi-Bendu Padawan Learner to Luke Skywalker, as well as the protector and later, lover to the Princess/Queen of his home planet of Aquilae, Leia. He was the hero of the battle which saw the defeat of the Galactic Empire in the Aquilaean system.
After the Jedi Rebellion, the teenage Annikin and his brother Deak Starkiller settled on the Fourth Moon of Utapau with their father, Kane Starkiller. Annikin, despite his relative youth, had taken part in the Kessilian civil wars and led a Hubble expedition to the Cone systems. He wore his hair in a distinctive Kessilian hair knot.
Behind the scenes
Annikin Starkiller was the lead character in the rough draft of what would become A New Hope. He played a similar role to that of Luke Skywalker in A New Hope, although his cockiness and brashness resembled Han Solo from A New Hope and Anakin Skywalker from Attack of the Clones. He also became the source of Luke's father's name, Anakin, in the third and later drafts.
In the first draft, Annikin was renamed "Justin Valor." This name was dropped in later drafts. While there was no one named Annikin or Anakin in the second draft, the name reappeared in the third and earliest versions of the fourth draft. During the filming of Episode IV, Luke's surname was changed from Starkiller to Skywalker, his Jedi byname in the second draft.
It is unknown who Annikin's mother was or what happened to her, as she is implied to be dead.
- The Star Wars (First appearance)
- The Star Wars: Rough Draft
- The Star Wars: First Draft (as Justin Valor)
- The Star Wars: From The Adventures of Luke Starkiller (as Anakin Starkiller)
- Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film
Notes and references
- Starkiller - The Jedi Bendu Script Site
- The Development of Star Wars: As Seen Through the Scripts by George Lucas