History[edit | edit source]
- "Ansion! Look at it. Small, backward, unimportant. If queried, I wager not one politician or merchant in a hundred could tell you anything much about it."
- ―Presidente Shu Mai
Discovered sometime after 3000 BBY and before the Galactic Republic's Ruusan Reformation, the world joined the Galactic Senate and maintained a relatively humble existence within the government. Seemingly unimportant, the world helped found the Malarian Alliance in 42 BBY, alongside the Dbarians, Malarian Alliance, and Mamendin, which secured Ansion's trade and security. Later, it signed the Keitumite Mutual Military Treaty, tying the planet to Keitum, Mondress, Lonnaw, Dorin, Eeropha, and Glom Tho. Represented in the Senate by Senator Mousul during the Separatist Crisis, Ansion was being eyed by Commerce Guild Presidente Shu Mai, for if it could be made to secede, the other worlds tied to it could also fall to the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Inciting a border dispute between the Unity of Community government and the nomadic Alwari, Presidente Mai began to strain the world's relationship with the other signers of the treaty.
Before the plot could unfold, the Jedi High Council dispatched Jedi Master Luminara Unduli, Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi, and their Padawans Barriss Offee and Anakin Skywalker to negotiate peace. The Separatists hired local Bossban Soergg the Hutt to help induce riots and conflict between the Ansari and the Unity Council, but when the Jedi appeared, he was forced to turn to more brutal techniques. Hiring thugs to track the Jedi, his men harried the four peacekeepers into the foothills, where they found shelter among the native tribesmen. Eventually the Jedi were able to restore peace between both nations and the Unity Council voted to remain with the Republic. Padawan Offee confronted Soergg the Hutt with evidence that he was connected with the Separatists, but all evidence was circumstantial and no charges were brought against him.
Joining the Galactic Empire following its rise from the ashes of the Republic, Emperor Palpatine appointed a Moff who dissolved all existing treaties and alliances, guaranteeing that a threat to Imperial security could not arise amongst the obscure worlds.
Shortly after Battle of Yavin, the Galactic Empire prepared a massive attack on Ansion, a civilian target. The Empire suspected the planet's population of harboring Alliance assets or at least Rebel sympathizers. The charge was intended to permanently silence the growing Rebellion on the planet. Information on the preemptive strike was retrieved by Lieutenant Deena Shan during the attack on Bannistar Station. In response, Admiral Ackbar sent fighter squadrons, including Dagger Squadron, to the Ansion system to warn their allies of the impending assault.
Taken by Grand Admiral Mitth'raw'nuruodo during his northern campaign, the world was overrun by the Yuuzhan Vong during the Yuuzhan Vong War and its inhabitants enslaved. Freed by the Imperial Remnant in 29 ABY, the world remained in Imperial space throughout the Second Galactic Civil War.
Geography and wildlife[edit | edit source]
Ansion was a world of rolling plains, grassy fields, and wide valleys. Due to the high winds that swept the planet's surface, the extensive animal life on the world adapted to ride the winds or withstand it on the ground. Mammals such as the mountable suubatar and sadain, the domesticated surepp, the enormous lorqual and the predatory shanh, were all built with thick hides and strong legs to propel them along the windswept grasslands. The avian ongun-nur adapted to the skies with large wings, allowing it to ride the air currents with ease. Other bizarre creatures include the water-dwelling, community-minded gairk, which captured unwitting victims by working in succinct with other members of its species. The kyren swarms were known to darken the skies over the valleys, as they moved about the world.
Plant life on the world was largely limited to low-standing shrubs and grasses, though there were small stands of trees dotting the landscape. A uniquely adapted creature was the tumbleweed-like plant called the chawix, which used its many spiky growths to impale its prey as the wind carried it. Aside from the plains, volcanic vents often times opened up on the surface, billowing ash and smoke into the sky.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Approaching Storm (First appearance)
- (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones novelization (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones comic (Mentioned only)
- "MedStar: Intermezzo"—Star Wars Insider 83 (Mentioned only)
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith novelization (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (Mentioned only)
- Rebellion 12: Small Victories, Part 2 (Indirect mention only)
- Rebellion 14: Small Victories, Part 4 (Mentioned only)
- Rebellion 15: Vector, Part 7 (Mentioned only)
- Scourge (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Exile (Mentioned only)
- Millennium Falcon (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 25 (PAL8, Supreme Chancellor Palpatine)
- 'Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Illustrated Companion
- "Who's Who in the Jedi Order"—Star Wars Insider 62
- "The Unseen Planets of Episode II"—Star Wars Insider 80
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 140 (HUT18, The Hutts)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The New Essential Chronology
- "Order 66: Destroy All Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 87
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 37
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- The Essential Reader's Companion
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- "Legendary Authors: Alan Dean Foster"—Star Wars Insider 156 (as Anison)