- "For Antar Four, then, and for a brighter future."
Antar 4, also known simply as Antar and the Gotal moon, was a moon that orbited Antar, a planet located in the galaxy's Inner Rim, that was the homeworld of the sentient Gotal species. It was taken over by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. As a result, it was later targeted by an Imperial operation that came to be known as the Antar Atrocity.
- "Not all of us were Separatist."
- ―A Koorivar captain
A member of the Galactic Republic almost from its inception, the Separatist Crisis created a schism among Antar 4's Gotals that gave rise to terrorist groups aligned with the Confederacy of Independent Systems, such as the Roshu Sune, a radical splinter group of the Gotal Assembly for Separation. Despite a Roshu Sune terrorist bombing campaign in the final months before the eruption of the Clone Wars, Gotal loyalists, shored up by the Republic, managed to retain power. However, shortly after the First Battle of Geonosis in the year 22 BBY, the moon fell to Separatist forces, and for a brief period, became a headquarters for its leader, Count Dooku. As a result, Antar 4 became a political imbroglio that spawned one of the first resistance groups, made up of loyalist Koorivar and Gotals whom the Republic supported with tactical advisers and secret shipments of arms and materiel. Though the resistance was successful in carrying out hundreds of acts of sabotage, the moon remained under Separatist control for the conflict's duration.
After the war, in 18 BBY, Moff Wilhuff Tarkin of the Galactic Empire, the Republic's successor, was ordered to make an example of Antar 4 for supporting the Confederacy of Independent Systems as a warning to former Separatists. No attempt was to be made at repatriation, nor was he to waste time sorting Separatists from resistance fighters and intelligence operatives waiting to be exfiltrated to safety. Instead, many Koorivar and Gotal loyalists were swept up in the ensuing arrests, executions, and massacres that came to be known as the Antar Atrocity. As a result of its actions on Antar 4, former Republic Intelligence captain Berch Teller, who lost many operatives in the Imperial reprisal, created a rebel cell to combat the Empire within a year of the attack.
Antar 4 was the homeworld of the sentient Gotal species. When it was taken over by the Separatists, tens of millions of Gotal refugees fled to their colony world, Atzerri, replaced by an influx of Koorivar, Gossams, and other species whose homeworlds had joined the Separatists.
Behind the scenes
Antar 4 was first mentioned in the new Star Wars canon in Tarkin, a novel written by James Luceno and released on November 4, 2014. It was originally created for Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, a Star Wars Legends supplement written by Troy Denning for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and released on June 1, 1989.
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (First pictured)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 2 (Databank A-Z: Alzoc III–Antilles) (as Antar IV)
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 33 (Databank A-Z: Admiral Kilian–Kowakian)
- (as Antar IV)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- According to Destroy Malevolence, the Malevolence was destroyed on the Dead Moon of Antar, a moon of Antar and neighbor orbit of Antar 4. Star Wars: The Rebel Files establishes that the Malevolence was destroyed in the Prindaar system, therefore, we can deduce that Antar, Antar 4, and the Dead Moon of Antar are all in the Prindaar system, and since Antar and its orbits are in the Inner Rim, then so is the Prindaar system
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game—Based on the map placement of Antar
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races