Antoc Merrick was a human male pilot who served as a general in the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. Around 0 BBY, General Merrick participated in the Alliance's acquisition of the Galactic Empire's plans to their ultimate weapon, the Death Star, in the Battle of Scarif. Flying as leader of Blue Squadron in a T-65B X-wing starfighter, Merrick was shot down and killed by a TIE Striker during the battle.
Life on VirujansiEdit
Antoc Merrick was born in 46 BBY on Virujansi. Merrick served as the flight leader of the planetary defense force known as the Rarified Air Cavalry on his homeworld. After the formation of the Galactic Empire, Virujansi experienced a political transformation when an Imperial governor displaced the ruling Virujansi council. This resulted in the forced disbanding of local military forces loyal to the ruling council. Merrick rejected an offer extended to pilots of the Rarified Air Cavalry to join the Imperial Navy seeing it as hollow. Seeing that the Rebel Alliance's starfighter squadrons demonstrated greater unit coherence and piloting ability than those of the Empire, Merrick and fellow pilot Garven Dreis opted for early retirement, left Virujansi, and sought membership with the Rebel Alliance.
General in the RebellionEdit
- "The Empire has the means of mass destruction, the Rebellion does not."
- ―General Antoc Merrick on the Death Star
Sometime after joining the Rebel Alliance, Merrick was given the rank of General and direct authority over all assembled starfighters at the Base One on Yavin 4. He also would fly in command of Blue Squadron as Blue Leader. When the entirety of the Massassi starfighter squadrons were scrambled, Merrick had authority over the other squadron leaders. In Merrick's absence, General Dodonna commanded the starfighter fleet. Additionally, he served on the rebel council allowing him to have sway over the course of the Rebellion.
At some point during his time as Commander of Rebel Alliance Starfighter Command and Blue Squadron, Merrick gave a speech at the Great Temple in which he addressed the U-Wing pilots. Understanding they were often overlooked yet vital assets to the rebellion, Merrick pledged his support and expressed his admiration for them, stating that he assigned them specifically to U-Wings as he knew they were all above the boasting of "hot shot" X-wing pilots. He also stated that this praise did not come from High Command, but from his heart. Merrick humbly considered himself a pilot more than a commanding officer.
Around 0 BBY, Merrick listened to Jyn Erso testimony to the rebel council about Death Star's full power. When the alliance received word of Rogue One's infiltration of Scarif, Merrick and Blue Squadron along with the entire starfighter wing at Base One scrambled to provide assistance. Blue Squadron entered combat above Scarif in conjunction with the Rebel Fleet led by Admiral Raddus. Merrick then led Blue Squadron's X-wings and U-wings through the Shield Gate to provide air support to the pathfinders on Scarif's surface. He and his squadron then destroyed several of the AT-ACTs harassing rebel forces. During the ensuing air combat with TIE strikers, Merrick was shot down resulting in his death.
Personality and traitsEdit
Human male Antoc Merrick had light skin, steel blue eyes and blondish-brown hair. He deeply cared for those under his command, and refused to needlessly risk their lives. Knowing the extra responsibility of others lives that U-wing pilots bear from personal experience, Merrick felt particularly protective towards them.
Behind the scenesEdit
Antoc Merrick, portrayed by Ben Daniels, is a character created for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the first installment in the Star Wars Anthology Series, which was released on December 16, 2016. The first footage of Merrick was revealed in the Celebration Europe reel on July 15, 2016. His name was revealed on October 15, 2016 by Entertainment Weekly in an exclusive trading card from Star Wars: Card Trader.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Secret Mission
- Rogue One Adaptation 6
- "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- "Grounded"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Anthony Breznican (October 15, 2016). New 'Rogue One' Images Revealed by Topps' 'Star Wars: Card Trader' (Slide 3 of 7). Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on October 15, 2016. (First identified as Merrick)
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Antoc)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Ultimate Sticker Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: New Edition
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Anthony Breznican (October 15, 2016). New 'Rogue One' Images Revealed by Topps' 'Star Wars: Card Trader' (Slide 3 of 7). Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved on October 15, 2016.