- "You named your weapon after my sister? The former ruler of Mandalore?"
"It was a series of bad decisions, okay?"
- ―Bo-Katan Kryze and Sabine Wren
The Arc Pulse Generator, nicknamed "the Duchess" after Duchess Satine Kryze, was a superweapon designed by Sabine Wren during her time at the Imperial Academy on Mandalore. The weapon targeted the beskar alloy used in Mandalorian armor and disintegrated the person wearing it, though it could also be reconfigured to target other materials such as plastoid, a component of stormtrooper armor. Wren defected from the Galactic Empire and attempted to destroy the prototype upon realizing what the Empire intended to do with the weapon, but the Empire and their regents on Mandalore salvaged and rebuilt it. The weapon was unleashed during the civil war that occurred on Mandalore during the Imperial Era until Wren and Bo-Katan Kryze finally destroyed it.
- "…the Arc Generator's energy pulse is drawn to the beskar alloy in the Mandalorians' armor, superheating it and instantly vaporizing the target, and all the while, doing no harm to our Imperial stormtroopers."
- ―Tiber Saxon
Years before the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, Sabine Wren was a cadet at the Imperial Academy on Mandalore. Wren, the top of her class, was a highly competitive student and often took on challenges other students found too daunting. One of those was the development of a superweapon that became the Arc Pulse Generator. Wren, who nicknamed the weapon the Duchess after the late Duchess Satine Kryze, developed the weapon to target beskar alloy used in Mandalorian armor and disintegrate the soldier inside.
Once Wren realized that the Empire had tested the weapon on her own people and intended to continue using it, she sabotaged it, destroyed the plans, and defected from the Empire, eventually joining with rebels who became part of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Wren believed she had destroyed the weapon, but the Empire salvaged and rebuilt it. Rumors spread that the Empire had tested such a device, but there was never confirmation amongst other Mandalorian clans that the Duchess was real.
A civil war broke out on Mandalore after Clan Wren rebelled against Clan Saxon, the ruling clan of Mandalore. Governor Tiber Saxon prepared the weapon for use against the insurrectionists, and fitted it on an AT-DP Arc Cannon Prototype. Though it was weaker than Wren's original design, Saxon ordered it tested against Clan Wren during the war. Grand Admiral Thrawn was disappointed that the weapon was not up to its full capabilities, and suggested that Governor Saxon capture Wren so she could modify it.
Wren boarded Saxon's Star Destroyer with a strike team to destroy the weapon and erase all data on it from the Imperial databanks. Saxon threatened to kill her ally, Bo-Katan Kryze, if Wren did not fix the weapon, and she tricked him into believing that she did so. Instead, she adjusted it to affect stormtrooper armor, incapacitating the Imperial troops. She then used the Darksaber to breach the weapon's core, and it exploded and destroyed the Star Destroyer as Wren and her strike team escaped.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber" (First mentioned) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore (First appearance) (First identified as Duchess)
- (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as Arc Pulse Generator)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Sabine was a member of the Ghost crew by 5 BBY, meaning she left the Imperial Academy of Mandalore, where she created the Duchess, before then.
- ↑ The trivia guide for Star Wars Rebels: Heroes of Mandalore states that Bo-Katan Kryze was redesigned to advance the character's age by "18 years or so." As she was last seen in The Lawless, which was dated to 19 BBY by Star Wars: Galactic Atlas, it can be assumed that the events of Heroes of Mandalore take place in approximately 1 BBY.