- "The pilot in the front hatch controls the tank, the shells, and the short range blasters. The commander in the top hatch controls the turret and the main cannon. You have to take out both chambers, otherwise the tank will remain operational."
- ―Ahsoka Tano, on how to combat an AAT
The Armored Assault Tank Mk I, also known as the AAT battle tank or the AAT-1 Hover Tank, was a tank vehicle used by the Trade Federation, Confederacy of Independent Systems, and Rebel Alliance.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The Armored Assault Tank Mk I, otherwise known as the AAT-1, manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop, was the Confederacy of Independent Systems' primary infantry vehicle used during the Clone Wars against the Galactic Republic. It was a relatively small, compact, 9.19 meter long tank, and consisted of a heavily armored, spade-shaped lower hull topped with a lighter, secondary hull and rotating turret. It was operated by a crew of four, one B1 pilot battle droid, two gunners, and one commander, which could differ between an OOM command battle droid, tactical droid, or even an organic, and could carry up to six additional droids via handholds and footholds on the hull, as well as ten metric tons. The AAT-1, due to its heavy armor, was neither quick nor agile on the battlefield, boasting a maximum speed of 55 kilometers per hour. The cost of the AAT-1 was 75,000 credits.
The AAT-1 was an extremely versatile vehicle designed to handle nearly any opposition encountered on the battlefield. Its primary weapon was a heavy laser cannon mounted in the top turret that provided the tank with 360 degrees of long-range firepower powerful enough to destroy an All Terrain Tactical Enforcer of the Grand Army of the Republic. Two medium laser cannons, mounted on the tank's port and starboard sides, provided excellent anti-vehicle firepower, and a pair of coxial heavy blasters were mounted with the lasers for anti-personnel work. It was also armed with six-barreled multiordnance projectile launchers that were mounted in the lower hull, which gave the AAT-1 anti-armor and even siege capabilities.
While formidable in theory, in practice, the AAT-1 was less than the sum of its parts. Its biggest weakness was the crew, the quartet of B1-series battle droids, and while competent, the droid crew possessed neither the initiative nor the ability to improvise that of a crew of sentients would have. This made them predictable and easily countered by opponents who have tangled with the tank before. In addition, their computer and electrical systems left much to be desired, and a platoon of AAT-1s could easily be taken out by a handful of electromagnetic pulse grenades. Despite such shortcomings, the tanks did pose a considerable threat to clone trooper infantry and armored forces.
History[edit | edit source]
The AAT was designed for and used in the Trade Federation's Invasion of Naboo. The AAT was later donated to the Confederacy of Independent Systems, where it served as one of its backbone infantry defenses and backbone vehicles during the Clone Wars. Many of the AATs used by the Confederacy were painted in Confederate colors, such as blue, though there were still tanks used by the CIS in the previous tan used by the Trade Federation. The tanks were also donated to Death Watch during their alliance with the Confederacy.
One of the most famous variants of the vehicle was done by Confederate General Lok Durd. He modified one of these into the Defoliator Deployment Tank. He attempted to test the vehicle on Maridun and the Lurmen there. However his prototype was destroyed by Anakin Skywalker and several others. This variant of the tank was later used by the Supreme Commander of the Droid Army, General Grievous, on Dathomir.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head
- Rise of the Separatists
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: Commander
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Defenders of Peace"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 1 (Databank A-Z: Ask Aak–Stass Allie)
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- Star Wars 3