An armored hovertrain consisted of connected carriages that ran along a magnetic field. The Galactic Empire used one of these trains to transport prisoners and cargo across the spice-mining, irregularly shaped planet Kessel. A similar train was later used by the Rebel Alliance to ferry supplies and reinforcements to a Chandrilan city during Moff Kohl Seerdon's blockade on Chandrila. Under the protection of Rogue Squadron, the train survived an Imperial attack and reached the city.
There were three discernible carriage types on the train:
- Cockpit (a sloping cuboid), armed with a forward laser emplacement and two turreted laser emplacement (one on each side).
- Cargo carriage (a simple cuboid).
- Gun carriage with two turbolaser cannons and a missile launcher.
Two armored hovertrains operated from the spaceport in Worlport on Ord Mantell to transport cargo and people to outlying areas. One such train wound its way through the Scraplands, an enormous wasteland to the north of Worlport.
Behind the scenesEdit
Armored hovertrains first appeared in the video game adaptation of Shadows of the Empire. They also appeared in the Star Wars: Rogue Squadron video game series, and were included in the Special Edition of Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back.[source?]
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (Special Edition)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire video game (First appearance)