The Arquitens-class light cruiser, also known as the Jedi light cruiser or Republic light cruiser and later the Imperial light cruiser, was a line of light cruisers designed by Kuat Drive Yards that saw extensive service with the Republic Navy during the Clone Wars. A later variant was the Arquitens-class command cruiser.
- "The enemy ships are faster and more maneuverable. I suggest caution."
- ―TV-94, referring to the Arquitens-class light cruiser and its companion Consular-class cruisers.
The Arquitens-class were built on a broad, kite-shaped hull, in line with the Kuat Drive Yards triangular design motif that was also reflected in its contemporaries, the Venator and Acclamator-classes. It was set apart, however, by its three powerful engines (reminiscent of the smaller Consular-class space cruiser), as well as its two forward spars cleaved into the ship's triangular bow.
The bridge was a small T-shaped command tower positioned atop the hull, flanked by two turret-mounted quad light turbolasers; these were matched by identical emplacements were located on the ventral side. The cruiser's anti-fighter and anti-ship capabilities were bolstered by the quad laser batteries mounted port and starboard. All of the batteries could be retracted into the hull in the case of atmospheric operations. Additionally, the ship also had two pairs of forward concussion missile tubes.
Arquitens-class light cruisers were relatively small vessels; like the retrofitted Consular-class, they were regarded as "escort-class" vessels by the Separatist Navy (in contrast with the Venators, identified as "cruiser-class"). However, their versatiliy allowed them to serve in various roles, such as escorting convoys, performing reconnaissance pickets, and supporting larger capital ships. They earned the respect of both their crews and their enemy counterparts.
- "Get back to the bridge. We need to detach before Grievous jumps ship."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, to the clone naval officers aboard his Arquitens-class light cruiser during the Battle of Saleucami
Arquitens-class light cruisers were rushed into service with the Republic Navy upon the outbreak of the Clone Wars in 22 BBY. One of these ships was part of Jedi General Obi-Wan Kenobi's flotilla during the Battle of Saleucami; it was used as bait for General Grievous, distracting him from the Jedi boarding party on his own flagship that was attempting to rescue the captured Eeth Koth. In the course of the battle, the ship was targeted at point-blank range by Grievous' flagship and was destroyed.
Several Arquitens-class light cruisers formed part of the fleet that protected Kamino when it was attacked by Grievous and Asajj Ventress. Arquitens-class ships were also part of the fleet that later engaged Ventress's fleet in the Sullust system.
Following a distress call from the Togruta colonists of the planet Kiros, Jedi Master Yoda deployed a group containing Arquitens-class light cruisers and a Venator-class Star Destroyer to investigate. An Arquitens-class fought in the Battle of Ringo Vinda late in the war.
Age of the EmpireEdit
The Chiss Captain Thrawn and Ensign Eli Vanto served aboard the Imperial light cruiser Thunder Wasp under the command of Commander Alfren Cheno. The Thunder Wasp played a role in knocking out a transmission station during the pacification of Umbara. During the Batonn sector insurgency, Admiral Thrawn commanded three Imperial light cruisers Shyrack, Flensor, and Tumnor during the assault on Nightswan's forces on Scrim Island. These light cruisers were disabled by a hidden ion cannon emplacement but Thrawn ordered his fleet to bombard the waters around the ion cannons, creating a tsunami that flooded the base and knocked out its defenses. Later, Thrawn used the cruisers as bait to entice Nightswan's ships to attack his command ship Chimaera. Nightswan's ships bypassed the cruisers, which deployed repair barges containing TIE fighters that neutralized Nightswan's fleet.
Galactic Civil WarEdit
Darth Vader and Inspector Thanoth used this class of ship while carrying out Grand General Tagge's orders in the Anthan system. The same class of ship had been carrying a fortune in credits prior to its theft, which was what brought the two out to the system in the first place.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Arquitens-class light cruiser first appeared in the The Clone Wars episode Grievous Intrigue. Although the ships seen in Star Wars: Commander are virtually identical to other Arquitens-class light cruisers, the bridge design is more reminiscent of a command cruiser.
- (First identified as Jedi light cruiser)
- (First identified as Republic light cruiser)
- (First identified as Imperial light cruiser)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious (Indirect mention only)
- Rise of the Separatists
- (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as Arquitens-class light cruiser)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Dawn of Rebellion
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 3.20 3.21 3.22 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 60 (Starship Fact File: Arquitens-class Light Cruiser)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 5.9 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Grievous Intrigue"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Thrawn
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Darth Vader 7: Shadows and Secrets, Part I
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Escape from Kadavo"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "ARC Troopers"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Kidnapped"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- ↑ Darth Vader 9: Shadows and Secrets, Part III
- ↑ Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back