Artificial intelligence was the term for intelligence in a manufactured rather than evolved or genetically engineered being. Degrees of sophistication ran from simple computer programs to artificial sentience.
Advanced artificial intelligence could be found in many computers, such as a starship's main computer, but was usually installed in a droid. Droid intelligence levels defined which of several degrees they fell under.
Droids were typically programmed with certain restraints in their artificial intelligence, which limited what actions they could take to fulfill their objectives. For instance, most droids possessed deeply embedded life preservation programming preventing them from harming a sentient. Even fourth degree droids possessed such programming, modified after the fact to allow specific targets, such as enemy troops, assassination targets, or captives to be interrogated.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Onslaught
- Debts to Pay
- Cracken's Rebel Field Guide
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology
- Galaxy Guide 12: Aliens — Enemies and Allies
- (Indirect mention only)
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
- Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords: Prima Official Game Guide
- Artificial intelligence on Wikipedia