A male Neimoidian, Rute Gunnay was employed by the Trade Federation, rising through the ranks and becoming an adviser to Viceroy Nute Gunray, a leading member of the Separatist Council during the Clone Wars. Accompanying the Council and other members of Gunray's entourage to Mustafar after the death of Count Dooku, the Separatist leadership holed up inside an old mining facility and used it as a base of operations. Following General Grievous' death on Utapau the Confederacy's ally, Darth Sidious, contacted the Council and told them to accept his new apprentice, Darth Vader.
Upon Vader's arrival, the Sith sealed off all access points within the main chamber and ignited his lightsaber; little did the Separatist leaders realize that Sidious was in fact Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of the Galactic Republic. Having played both sides against each other, Sidious' use of the Council had come to an end. Vader made short work of the unarmed Council members and their aides, striking down Gunnay with a slash across the chest that ended his life.
Behind the scenes
Rute Gunnay was played by Colin Ware in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Unnamed and without dialogue, Ware donned the mask of Daultay Dofine during his portrayal of the Neimoidian. In the Revenge of the Sith video game, four Neimoidians look the same as Rute Gunnay on the Mission to Mustafar level.
Rute Gunnay's name is a play on the name of Nute Gunray, and the origins seem to stem from the fact that the otherwise anonymous Neimoidian aide in tan robes is incorrectly referred to as Nute Gunray in Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary. This error is partially fixed in Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, where he is identified as "Rute Gunray". Whether or not this is meant to name Rute as a relative of Nute Gunray is unknown. In Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars, he is properly referred to as 'Rute Gunnay'.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith comic
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith game
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary (Incorrectly identified as Nute Gunray)
- Dressing a Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars (First identified as Rute Gunnay)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary (Incorrectly identified as Rute Gunray)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Rute Gunnay)
- "The Devious Neimoidians Revealed"—Star Wars Insider 147
Notes and references