- "Explanation: You see, master, assassination is such a versatile tool. I have seen the removal of a single target have far-reaching consequences for a nation, world, even a galaxy. The repercussions of even the smallest lives... whether dead or alive, can have profound implications on history."
Assassins were beings or machines trained to kill other beings, either for hire or for political gain. Orders of assassins included the Assassin's Guild, the Loag, the Malkite Poisoners, and the GenoHaradan.
"I knew Vader would send an assassin. It's a cowardous tactic." Princess Leia Organa.
Members of the profession were referred to by many euphemisms and epithets: "problem solvers" in the Corporate Sector Authority, "exterminators" in the Outer Rim Territories, and "slayers" in the Core Worlds. Whatever their name, most professional assassins were concerned solely with credits. This made assassins simultaneously the best paid and most despised members of the galaxy's underworld.
Many bounty hunters who had no objections to killing their targets or working for criminals straddled the line between assassin and bounty hunter.
Species of assassins
While assassins could come from a variety of sentient species, some species were disproportionately represented in the profession. These included Anzat, Tyluun Night-soarers, Kerestians, Bartokk, Noghri, and Blood Carvers.
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
- Jedi Quest: The Shadow Trap (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows
- Star Wars 48: The Third Law
- The Last Command
- X-wing: Starfighters of Adumar
- Edge of Victory II: Rebirth (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest I: The Joiner King
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen
- Revelation (Mentioned only)