During the battle, many stormtroopers were strafed by Rebel starfighters. One of the injured officers was Sergeant Major Beilert Valance. His platoon was struck by a proton torpedo. Despite those heavy casualties, The Imperial forces were eventually victorious.
- "But that's the past... I've destroyed that!"
- ―Beilert Valance
Behind the scenesEdit
The planet where Valance was injured in Star Wars 16: The Hunter was retconned as Doniphon by author Jason Fry in the miniature scenarios The Hunt Within: Valance's Tale. Fry named the planet after Tom Doniphon, John Wayne's character in the 1962 western movie The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
In The Essential Guide to Warfare Author's Cut, Valance describes the enemy fighters as "Split-wings. ARC-170s, maybe. Or some kind of Z-95. HUD never painted them with a positive ID." This is likely an attempt to reconcile the depiction of X-Wings in the battle with later media establishing that X-Wings were not produced until circa 1 BBY.
- Star Wars 16: The Hunter (Appears in flashback(s)) (Retcon)
- Star Wars 27: Return of the Hunter (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars 29: Dark Encounter (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars 108: Forever Crimson (Appears in flashback(s))
- (First identified as Assault on Doniphon)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (See "Valance, Beilert")
- The Essential Atlas