An atmospheric fighter, or air superiority fighter, was a starfighter variant designed specifically for flight within the atmosphere of a planet. The TIE/sk x1 experimental air superiority fighter, or TIE striker, was a notable example.
Description[edit | edit source]
An atmospheric fighter was best deployed in low to high atmosphere, although was capable of suborbital flight. The TIE striker was streamlined for air superiority, featuring a solid stabilizing mass in its central hull, framed by tilting wings where a standard TIE/ln space superiority starfighter's large hexagonal panels were vulnerable to crosswinds, making the vessels difficult to steer outside of a vacuum. The TIE striker was fitted with twin ion engines for forward thrust, although also utilized specialized repulsorlifts for its atmospheric operations. The TIE striker was designed for atmospheric patrols over Imperial ground installations.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Vision to Kylo Ren)
- "The Voice of the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 170
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars Battlefront (DLC)
- Star Wars: Commander (First appearance)
- Shadow Fall
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Poe Dameron 9 (Appears in flashback(s))
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as atmospheric fighter)