The attack on Cerberon, also referred to as battle above Troithe, battle over Troithe and Battle against the Lodestar, was a battle initiated by the 204th Imperial Fighter Wing, led by Colonel Soran Keize, to attack General Hera Syndulla's New Republic forces within the Cerberon system.
The Catadra diversion
The attack started when the Quasar Fire-class cruiser-carrier Aerie and a squadron of training drones led by Colonel Soran Keize, lured New Republic starfighters into a Battle above Catadra, forcing the Acclamator-class transgalactic military assault ship Lodestar to remain near Troithe and engage the Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Edict alone, albeit with limited support from X-wing starfighters launched from the Troithe Garrison. En route to Catadra with Meteor Squadron, Wyl Lark received a message from Palal Seedia with a warning to return to Troithe, which in reality was a distraction. The Edict emitted system-wide jamming that prevented all ships from communicating or using their sensors and cut off Seedia. On realizing that Shadow Wing was the enemy, Lark raced back to warn the Lodestar, with Nath Tensent following right behind him.
Keize's original plan was for Shadow Wing to destroy the Lodestar and escape to hyperspace on the Aerie, however a freighter flown by Yrica Quell caused catastrophic damage to the hangar bay's magnetic field, so Keize adapted his plan, to stay and fight.
Battle over Troithe
- "All squadrons, descend to the city and begin your attack runs. Keep the enemy on the defensive—do not let them coordinate a counteroffensive and do not hold position longer than necessary."
- ―Soran Keize, to Shadow Wing
Once all of the New Republic starfighters above Catadra were no longer a threat, all six Shadow Wing squadrons launched out of hiding, hidden by the debris field and the sensor jamming from the Edict, which dropped as soon as the TIEs attacked the Lodestar and started destroying X-wings that protected it.
Tensent tried his best to attack the Star Destroyer, while Lark protected him from TIEs, however the Lodestar was unable to withstand the attack. The ship broke into three pieces and fell toward Troithe below. The Edict also continued its attack, however Troithe's planetary defenses crippled the Star Destroyer as it got too close. Both capital ships impacted Troithe's protective shield, which held only momentarily, but soon collapsed, allowing the wreckage of both ships to fall to the city below. Shadow Wing's TIEs took this opportunity to sneak down to the city before the shield came back online.
Behind the scenes
- Shadow Fall (First appearance, simultaneous with Shadow Fall audiobook)
- Shadow Fall audiobook
- Victory's Price (Indirect mention only)
- Victory's Price audiobook (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Shadow Fall
- Shadow Fall takes place approximately half a year after the Battle of Endor, while Before the Awakening states that Kes Dameron and Shara Bey moved to Yavin 4 around six months after the Battle of Endor. Given that Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates their move to 5 ABY, the events of Shadow Fall must also take place around that time. Furthermore, the attack on Cerberon must also be set around 5 ABY. establishes that
- Victory's Price