- "Bail Organa agreed that the attack was required to shut down Imperial control in Gyrica system."
- ―Mon Mothma to Garm Bel Iblis
Prior to the Destruction of Alderaan, Mon Mothma proposed an attack on the planet Milvayne, the location of the most important Imperial garrison in the Gyrica system. The attack was supported by Bail Organa before his death but Mon Mothma didn't seek the approval of Garm Bel Iblis.
- "Mon Mothma, I am forced to disagree. The course you are embarking on is foolhardy. I request that you postpone and reconsider the attack on Milvayne."
- ―Garm Bel Iblis to Mon Mothma
Following the disaster at Deepspace Besh, Mon Mothma ordered the attack to be carried out. However, Bel Iblis's information indicated that Milvayne didn't house an Imperial garrison but an Ubiqtorate base, a target Rebel troops were not prepared to deal with. Before the beginning of the attack, Bel Iblis requested Mothma that she postponed and reconsidered the strike. Mothma overruled him, but a furious Bel Iblis accused her of amassing power for herself. The Corellian stated that none of his troops would have a part in the attack and the quarrel increased until Mothma coolly told him that the Rebellion no longer required his services. The battle eventually occurred but Rebel forces were defeated as expected by Bel Iblis.
- "Do you understand me? I will not send my troops on a suicide attack. And I do not recognize your authority to order them to. I did not vote to place you in charge of the Alliance, and if Bail did, then he was gravely mistaken."
"Senator Bel Iblis, I sincerely hope that was not an ultimatum."
"Yes, I guess it is. This attack plan is fundamentally flawed, and you just don't have the expertise to know it."
"I will not have ultimatums put to me, Senator. The Rebel Alliance will no longer require your services."
- ―Garm Bel Iblis and Mon Mothma
In addition to the military defeat, the Rebel Alliance lost one of its most brilliant leaders. Garm Bel Iblis created his own resistance movement and waged his private war against the Empire for years throughout the Galactic Civil War. Bel Iblis eventually joined Mon Mothma and the New Republic during the Thrawn campaign.
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (See "Milvayne")
- The Essential Atlas
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 The Essential Atlas, pp. 179-180
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 According to the Dark Force Rising Sourcebook, the raids on Tangrene and Gestron followed Garm Bel Iblis' split from the Rebel Alliance that took place at the time of the Battle of Milvayne according to Differences of Opinion.
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology (pp. 115 & 151) places Bel Iblis' departure nine years before the Thrawn campaign, which is set in 9 ABY.
- ↑ The disaster at Deepspace Besh occurs in 35:12, so for Milvayne to fall in 0 ABY, it must occur between 35:12 and 36:2, the end of 0 ABY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2
- ↑ Dark Force Rising Sourcebook