- "However, a Separatist saboteur attacked one of our Republic cruisers. A Mandalorian saboteur."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi describes the attack to Duchess Satine Kryze
In 21 BBY, during the Clone Wars, a saboteur from the Mandalorian Death Watch group launched an attack on a Galactic Republic cruiser with support from the Separatist Alliance. Following the attack, which resulted in the saboteur's death as he chose to take his life rather than submit to questioning, a holographic recording of the assault was brought to the Republic's attention.
Sometime later, in response to the attack, the Jedi High Council dispatched Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi to the planet Mandalore to speak with Duchess Satine Kryze, the leader of the pacifistic New Mandalorians. While on Mandalore, Kenobi led an investigation to discover if Kryze, the planet, and the New Mandalorians had joined the Confederacy, and showed the recording of the assault to the Duchess.
Behind the scenes
The attack on a Republic cruiser first appeared in a holographic recording in "The Mandalore Plot," the twelfth episode of the second season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, which aired on January 29, 2010
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY, while its end, depicted in "Tipping Points," must occur in 20 BBY; Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Water War" to 20 BBY, while Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle! dates the events of "The Gathering" to be 20 years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 20 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. As establishes that the events of "Tipping Points," and therefore the end of the Onderonian Civil War, occurred between the events of "Water War" and "The Gathering," the war must have ended in 20 BBY. Therefore, the attack on a Republic cruiser occurs concurrently to the civil war.
- "Brain Invaders" establishes that the second occupation of Geonosis began after the Second Battle of Geonosis, while Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel shows that it continued throughout the rest of the Clone Wars. As "The Beginning of the Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia establishes that the attack on a Republic cruiser occurred after the Second Battle of Geonosis, but still during the Clone Wars, the battle must have been concurrent to the second occupation.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Landing at Point Rain" to 21 BBY, and Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Highlights of the Saga: The End of Endurance) dates the death of CT-411 "Ponds", as seen in the episode "Lethal Trackdown", to the same year. Since places "The Mandalore Plot" between "Landing at Point Rain" and "Lethal Trackdown," its events must take place in the same year.