- "Be careful, they're still making battle droids. Destroy their troop center to shut them down for good!"
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, to the Wookiees
Betweeen 39 BBY and 36 BBY, during the conflict for ownership of the moon Alaris Prime between Wookiee colonists and the Trade Federation, a group of Wookiees led by Chewbacca attacked a Trade Federation outpost. The attack marked the beginning of Chewbacca's campaign to remove the Federation's presence from Alaris Prime following an attempt on the life of his father, Wookiee Chieftain Attichitcuk, with the outpost being chosen for the attack due to its production of B1 battle droids. With the guidance of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, the Wookiees created a base on the opposite side of a river near the outpost and began training more soldiers there after identifying the outpost's location. Chewbacca led the attack with a force of eleven other Wookiees, destroying the five battle droids guarding the outpost along with the troop center.
- "He has decided on a perilous course. To show our resolve by raiding a nearby Trade Federation outpost. His hope is that they'll think twice before challenging us again."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, referring to Chewbacca's plan to attack the outpost
Sometime between the years 39 BBY and 36 BBY a war began between Wookiee colonists and the corporation known as the Trade Federation for possession of the moon Alaris Prime. The Wookiee Chieftain Attichitcuk was nearly killed by B1 battle droids of the Trade Federation Droid Army, but was saved by his son, Chewbacca, who became the new leader of the colonists.
With assistance from Qui-Gon Jinn, an advisor from the Jedi Order, Chewbacca planned to intimidate the Trade Federation leadership into abandoning Alaris Prime through a demonstration of force, selecting a Trade Federation outpost where B1 battle droids were produced as a target. The colonists created a new base near the outpost's location and, with Jinn's guidance, built a troop center to train soldiers and a mech factory to manufacture two HummBikes, a type of speeder bike.
Using those vehicles, Wookiee scouts found no trace of the Trade Federation outpost on the accesible stretch of land, so Jinn concluded that it was on the other side of the river near the base. The Wookiees built a shipyard on the riverbank and assembled an aquatic transport ship there to ferry the scouts over the water. Once the riders located the outpost, Chewbacca trained a group of eleven other warriors to attack the outpost. These included bowcaster troopers, mounted dragon troopers who rode katarns and were equipped with flamethrowers, and thermal detonator troopers, along with a Wookiee medical droid. Chewbacca and these Wookiees boarded transport ships, which were built at the shipyard, and crossed the river to the path to the outpost.
- "They're walled in. Attack the wall to bash your way through!"
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, to the Wookiees during the attack on the outpost
The dragon and grenade troopers began the battle by attacking the light wall around the outpost. The garrison of five B1 battle droids there, commanded remotely by the droid GWC-04, fired on the Wookiees with their E-5 blaster rifles, and in response, they were destroyed by Chewbacca and the other bowcaster troopers. Once portions of the wall were broken down, the Wookiees moved into the outpost and destroyed the troop center with the flamethrowers and thermal detonators, limiting the Trade Federation's production of battle droids on Alaris Prime.
- "A lesson learned in battle is sometimes the most indelible. Pray you do not have to learn too many of these."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, after the battle
The Trade Federation remained on Alaris Prime despite the loss of the outpost, and after they attacked one of the Wookiee bases, Chewbacca and his forces destroyed a Trade Federation listening array and eventually removed the corporation from Alaris Prime entirely in the Battle for Alaris Prime.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "You've lost a lot of troops but don't worry, you can create more at your troop center and try again."
- ―Qui-Gon to the player, if their forces are all killed in the battle
The attack on the Trade Federation outpost is first described in Prima Games' strategy guide for the 2001 LucasArts video game Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, before appearing in the game itself. The attack is the main feature of the fifth level of the Wookiee tutorial campaign, entitled "Exploration and Transport." On the tutorial selection screen, Galactic Battlegrounds recommends the level as a starting point for players who are already familiar with real-time strategy game mechanics.
The attack functions as an opportunity for the player to consolidate their real-time strategy skills with an easy mission where one can practice building bases and armies. The player is able to move on if they lose a significant number of troops, but will lose the battle if Chewbacca is killed. Unlike most levels in the campaigns and in the standard game mode settings, the player is able to see the enemy base on the in-game maps through the unexplored black area called the fog of war. The strategy guide portrays some aspects of the battle differently from the finished game, stating that several battle droids await the player on the path to the camp and that more droids spawn from the troop center to attack the Wookiees. The guide also recommends building an army of fifteen Wookiees for the attack, whereas in the game, Jinn suggests that only twelve will be necessary. This article assumes the game's portrayal of events to be correct.
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The New Essential Chronology places the Alaris Prime colonial war, which included the attack on the Trade Federation outpost, according to Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds, between 39 and 36 BBY.
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Prima's Official Strategy Guide