The Attendants were a group of mute alien navigators from an ancient insectoid species that was used by various factions in the Unknown Regions, where they originated. They were active in the Imperial–Grysk conflict during the Age of the Empire, as well as during the time of the war between the First Order and the Resistance, serving under First Order Supreme Leader Snoke.
The Attendants were active in the Imperial Era, during which time they served the Grysk Hegemony. Under the Hegemony, the Attendants trained other alien species in navigation so that Grysk starships could travel through the Unknown Regions. After an attack on a Grysk warship by the Galactic Empire and Chiss Ascendancy, allied forces rescued Un'hee, a Chiss Force-sensitive. Imperial Chiss Grand Admiral Mitth'raw'nuruodo and Ascendancy Admiral Ar'alani questioned Un'hee if there were other Chiss aboard the Grysk vessels that the allied forces were combating, which they denied as there were only other species that had been trained by the Attendants.
Following the fall of the Galactic Empire at the Battle of Jakku, what was left of the Empire fled to the Unknown Regions in order to escape from the New Republic and plan their revenge. Although most of the surviving Imperial officers would have likely died while crossing the uncharted Regions, the ancient hyperspace trails blazed by the Attendants helped them to stay there, where they eventually formed the First Order. The Attendants served the First Order's Supreme Leader Snoke. At least two Attendants were aboard Snoke's flagship, the Supremacy, after the Evacuation of D'Qar in 34 ABY, where they had designed and operated the oculus viewing scope in Snoke's throne room.
Two Attendants were in Snoke's throne room when General Armitage Hux entered the chamber after the battle over D'Qar. As Hux and Snoke conversed, the Attendants carried on with their mysterious work at the oculus viewing scope. Later, as Kylo Ren arrived, the Attendants slowly turned to look over to Snoke before turning back to the oculus. As Ren knelt before his master, the Attendant closest to the throne turned and slowly looked to Ren and kept its gaze on him while the other Attendant's attention remained on the oculus. As Snoke moved from his throne to Ren, the Attendant turned back to the oculus as the second Attendant moved to watch the interaction between Snoke and Ren.
Both watched and did not react as the Supreme Leader struck Ren with Force lightning when he attempted to attack Snoke in a fit of anger. They continued to remain still as Snoke returned to his throne. Later, as Ren brought Rey before Snoke, two Attendants were present in the throne room, standing before the oculus looking towards the Supreme Leader.[source?] Sometime later, Hux entered the throne room to find it in shambles and on fire. Looking around he saw that the Attendants had fled before seeing Snoke dead in a crumpled heap before his throne.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Snoke's aides were an Ivan Manzella design from The Force Awakens, quite close to being used. They were also quite close to being used in Rogue One. But no one seemed to find the place for them. And then suddenly, 'Bang!' It was Michael Kaplan that really drove the costume and their final look, more than anything—even the color of their faces. They were tailored toward that sort of servile, quiet, almost religious-type feel."
- ―Neal Scanlan on the Attendants
They were based on concept art originally for J.J. Abrams' 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens and were considered for Gareth Edwards' 2016 Star Wars Anthology film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, before being finalized by the Lucasfilm Ltd. artists for The Last Jedi by recommendation of Michael Kaplan.
- Thrawn: Treason (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- The Last Jedi Adaptation 1
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Attendants)
- The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Search & Find (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 61 (Databank A-Z: The Unknown Regions–Utai) (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Thrawn: Treason
- ↑ Star Wars Helmet Collection 61 (Databank A-Z: The Unknown Regions–Utai)
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Last Jedi