Augara Jowil was an Otolla Gungan female who was bandleader of the Great Municipal Band alongside Beezar Pert. In 32 BBY, she was amongst the Gungans who gathered in the Gungan Sacred Place on the planet Naboo after the Trade Federation invaded the world. At the sacred place, Jowil stood witness to Queen Padmé Amidala of the Naboo asking for the aid of Boss Rugor Nass of the Gungans in defeating the Federation. Nass agreed, and the Gungan Grand Army then worked with the Royal Naboo Security Forces to defeat the Federation during the Battle of Naboo. After the battle, Jowil and Beezer and the Great Municipal Band led a parade through the streets of Naboo's capital, Theed, playing songs including the "Symponik Nabooalla".
Behind the scenes
Augara Jowil was created for the May 19, 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, but was first mentioned prior to the films release in the title of the track "Augie's Great Municipal March" on the film's soundtrack, which was released on May 4. In the new Star Wars canon the character's full name was used in Star Wars - The Official Magazine 90, which was released in 2018. Jowil's full name originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was first used in an entry for the character written by Chad Finke and published as part of the Hyperspace feature "What's The Story?" on StarWars.com.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace soundtrack (First identified as Augie)
- Star Wars - The Official Magazine 90 (Database: Play that Song Again…) (First identified as Augara Jowil)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars - The Official Magazine 90 (Database: Play that Song Again…)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, which includes Augara Jowil's appearance, to 32 BBY.
- Star Wars Year By Year: A Visual History, New Edition
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace soundtrack