- "Never concede to evil. That is our oldest and most sacred law. When we concede to evil, even in a small way, we feed it, and it grows stronger."
- ―Augwynne Djo
Augwynne Djo was a female Human who was the leader of the Singing Mountain Clan of Dathomiri Witches, the grandmother of Teneniel Djo, great-grandmother of Tenel Ka, and great-great grandmother of Allana.
- "The Singing Mountain clan is in constant conflict with the Nightsisters, another clan of Force-users here on Dathomir."
- ―Augwynne Djo
Born on the planet of Dathomir decades before the founding of Palpatine's Galactic Empire, Augwynne Djo was a female Human and a member of the Witches of Dathomir, a society dominated by Force-sensitive women. At some point before the rise of the Empire in 19 BBY, she had become the clan mother of the Singing Mountain Clan, a coven of witches that claimed the territory located in the vicinity of an eponymous landform. Mother Augwynne and her sisters were the guardians of a ruined Star Temple, a mysterious pyramid built by the ancient Kwa to protect a powerful artifact.
During her tenure as clan mother, the life of Augwynne Djo unfolded in tragedy. All four of her daughters ended up being lost to her, either through death or betrayal. Djo's oldest daughter, Barukka, had dabbled in the forbidden teachings of the dark side of the Force, and the clan mother had been forced to cast her out. Her other daughter Allaya Djo, who acted as the clan's warmaster and had borne a daughter named Teneniel, met an untimely death in battle. Her youngest child, Kara'Teel, died while trying to protect her. But worst of all was the loss of Gethzerion, who had always been Mother Augwynne's favorite. Gethzerion and Barukka, both lost to the dark side, became Nightsisters and attempted to murder their own mother, a plan that was only foiled by the sacrifice of their youngest sister Kara'Teel, who gave her life to protect Augwynne.
Augwynne was present when Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Leia Organa arrived at the Singing Mountain Clan, and declared Han a free man after Leia presented his case. She struck a deal with Han, if she got him off Dathomir and gave him gold gems from Dathomir, he would give her the deed to the planet. She did not complete Han's third request, as she could not make Leia marry Han.
Augwynne had no choice but to lead the sisters of the Singing Mountain Clan against Gethzerion's Nightsisters in order to give Han time to get the Millennium Falcon off Dathomir. She requested help from other clans, but none came. Thanks to Luke Skywalker, Isolder, Han, Leia, Chewbacca, and her granddaughter Teneniel Djo, the sisters of the Singing Mountain Clan were able to defend the clan and drive the Nightsisters away. Augwynne and the sisters were finally rid of the Nightsisters when they were shot down trying to escape Dathomir.
After the Battle of Dathomir, Augwynne became the owner of Dathomir when Han Solo turned over the deed. Around the same time, her surviving daughter Barukka returned from the dark and rejoined the clan, much to Augwynne's joy. A few years before 22 ABY, Augwynne's favorite rancor died and her great-granddaughter Tenel Ka Djo kept two of the animal's smaller teeth. In 23 ABY, she helped Luke and Tenel Ka find the resurgent Nightsisters and the Shadow Academy. It is unknown what happened to her during the Yuuzhan Vong invasion of Dathomir.
Personality and traitsEdit
By 18 BBY, she had the appearance of a sixty-year-old woman, with pale eyes and hair the color of moonlight. She was tall and regal, with facial features considered handsome by her fellow Humans, as well as graceful, long-fingered hands. When in full regalia, Mother Djo wore a tunic of glittering yellow scales over a hide robe with black lizard shapes sewn around the hem. Her ceremonial headdress was made of smooth golden wood, and was decorated with cabochons of yellow tigereye. On other occasions, Djo was known to wear a coronet of aurodium.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Cracken's Threat Dossier, Augwynne's daughters are named as Gethzerion, Barukka, and Kara'Teel. Star Wars Encyclopedia and the Star Wars Customizable Card Game gives the name of her daughter as Allaya Djo. Curiously, she is also named as the person to have married Han and Leia Solo.
- The Last Jedi
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Light Side scenario campaign)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The Courtship of Princess Leia (First appearance)
- Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy
- Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers (Mentioned only)
- Young Jedi Knights: Crisis at Crystal Reef
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- Cracken's Threat Dossier
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Augwynne Djo)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 The Courtship of Princess Leia
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Republic: Infinity's End
- ↑ Cracken's Threat Dossier
- ↑ Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Light Side scenario campaign)
- ↑ Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers
- ↑ Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy