Description[edit | edit source]
- "The Emperor sent a ship from Exegol? Does that mean every ship in the fleet..."
"...has planet-killing weapons. Of course they do. All of them. This is how he finishes it."
- ―Beaumont Kin and Poe Dameron
Axial superlasers were a type of Kyber crystal-focused superlasers that were attached to the ventral hull of Xyston-class Star Destroyers. Unlike the Imperial Death Stars' superlasers, this cannon of the Final Order was capable of firing a red beam in a sustained burst to strike through a planet's surface from orbit, where the energy beam would delve deeper by pulsating at a fast rate, unleashing shock waves of crust-and-mantle-tearing energy, eventually reaching the planet's core and ripping the target apart. Such power, however, required the superlaser to be directly connected to the Star Destroyer's reactor, and severe damage to such weaponry would destroy its host ship.
History[edit | edit source]
- "Hit those underbelly cannons. Every one we knock out is a world saved."
- ―Poe Dameron
Kijimi—a planet with an estimated population of 310,000,000— was a victim of such a weapon, specifically the one affixed to the Derriphan, one of many Xyston-class Star Destroyers at the disposal of the Sith fleet. This warship was given to the command of the Sith Eternal Allegiant General, Enric Pryde, who had the Derriphan eliminate Kijimi as a result of the world's alleged ties to the Resistance and as a demonstration of the general's steadfast allegiance to Darth Sidious.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as axial superlaser)
- Star Wars Complete Vehicles, New Edition
- (Picture only)