The BTA-NR2 Y-wing starfighter was a model of starship manufactured by Koensayr Manufacturing, and kept in mind that many potential buyers saw the "rebel Y-wing" as more venerable than the original BTL-B Y-wing starfighter/bomber. Koensayr also understood that many customers preferred customizable ships to standard models, and as such it deduced that the BTA-NR2 would emulate the modified BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bomber instead. It was 18.17 meters in length, 8.78 meters wide, and had a height of 2.85 meters. It was equipped with two Koensayr R750 ion jet engines which allowed it to have a max acceleration of 2,750 Gs, 80 MGLT, and an atmospheric speed of 1,050 kph. A new BTA-NR2 cost 185,000 credits, while a used one cost 95,000.
The BTA-NR2 was equipped with a class 1 Koensayr R400-H hyperdrive, life support, as well as a Chempat deflector shield generator and a Guidenhauser ejector seat. Additional systems included a Fabritech ANq 5.8 tracking computer and an astromech droid loaded in a socket behind the cockpit for navigation as well as monitoring systems. The starfighter was armed with two Taim & Bak IX4-B laser cannons, a turret with two ArMek SW-9 ion cannons, two Arakyd Flex Tube proton torpedo launchers that could fire proton torpedos, and could launch proton bombs. However, since Koensayr was contracted by the New Republic, they followed the limitations of the Galactic Concordance on armaments. As such, Resistance BTA-NR2s were outfitted with armaments that were banned by the New Republic, such as the ordnance launchers and the turret ion cannons to better counter the First Order.
The vessel was crewed by a single pilot, and had consumables that lasted one week. Although the BTA-NR2 was very similar in appearance to the BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bomber, it was incorporated with many technological advances such as more sophisticated sensors, stronger deflector shields, upgraded controls, and upgraded flight-monitoring systems. The R750 engines were also an upgrade over its predecessor's R200 ion jet engines, and thus allowed for greater speed, were more robust, and needed less maintenance.
Other systems and characteristics of the BTA-NR2 were support pylons, ship-to-ship photonic comm system, a long-range targeting sensor array, a neck repulsorlift, automated turret computer systems, a laser tip, electromagnetic gyros, a main power cell, a wing repulsorlift, cooling intakes, heat vents, deflector ducts, a hyperdrive tachyon exhaust, a hyperdrive sequencer, a main coolant pump, cockpit pod ejectors, a cockpit canopy, a vectral ring, and an exhaust nozzle. The BTA-NR2 had a titanium-reinforced alusteel hull, and the vessel could be outfitted with stylized "replica" armor plating as an option in reminiscence of the BTL-B Y-wing fighter-bomber from the Galactic Republic. Squadron markings could be added to the hull.
The BTA-NR2 Y-wing starfighter was used by the New Republic as a "peacekeeping" starfighter, used for patrol and planetary defense. They had the capabilities of engaging in bombardment and combat. The basic layout remained mostly unchanged. However, newer models did not include ordinance and could not be used as a bomber.
Although Koensayr Manufacturing's BTL-B Y-wing fighter-bomber saw wide usage during the Clone Wars by the Galactic Republic, when the Galactic Empire was proclaimed, Koensayr was not able to obtain a government contract. Eventually, the Rebel Alliance began to use decommissioned BTL-B Y-wing fighter-bombers and BTL-A4 Y-wings against the Empire. After the Alliance defeated the Galactic Empire and transitioned into the New Republic, Koensayr embraced the role its products had in galactic revolution and restarted the Y-wing starfighter line, producing the BTA-NR2 Y-wing starfighter.
The BTA-NR2 Y-wing was marketed as "the starfighter that broke the Empire's back" and was sold to the New Republic, all while keeping in line with treaty restrictions. With the rise of the First Order, however, the Resistance was created to counter it and obtained BTA-NR2 Y-wings, modifying them past prohibitions to be more effective. They were used during the war between the First Order and the Resistance, with several being part of a contingent of starships that jumped out of hyperspace along with the CR90 corvette Tantive IV, T-70 X-wing starfighters, RZ-2 A-wing interceptors, B-Wing Fighters, and the YC-123B transport hauler Fortitude to confront the Sith Eternal forces at Exegol.
Battle of Exegol
During the Battle of Exegol, many Resistance pilots flew a BTA-NR2 Y-wing. Spicerunner Zorii Bliss arrived with the Citizens' Fleet in her BTA-NR2 Y-wing, called Comeuppance, and shot down two TIE/dg starfighters and destroyed one of the Xyston-class Star Destroyers.
Behind the scenes
- Star Wars: Starfighter Missions
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Star Wars: We Are the Resistance (First appearance)
- (First pictured)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Amazing Sticker Adventures
- Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Search & Find (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (Set: 75249 Resistance Y-Wing Starfighter)
- Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (Set: 75263 Resistance Y-wing Microfighter)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker – The Official Collector's Edition
- "Battle Beyond the Stars" – Star Wars Insider 194
- The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
- (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as Resistance Y-wing)
- Star Wars Day-at-a-Time Calendar 2021
- Star Wars: Fascinating Facts
- The Star Wars Book
- "Republic, Rebel, and Resistance Starfighters" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Ships and Vehicles 3 (Ships and Vehicles: Resistance Starfighters and Transports)
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy (Picture only)
- (Picture only)