- "Let me show you a trick—a backwards tailslide."
- ―Poe Dameron, to Kazuda Xiono
The backwards tailslide was a starfighter maneuver in which the user would briefly drift next to an asteroid before throttling their ship and blasting off away from the asteroid. A pilot would perform the maneuver by piloting their starfighter into an arc-like movement, avoiding the asteroid themselves and causing pursuers to crash. The maneuver was utilized by both Resistance Commander Poe Dameron and Resistance spy Kazuda Xiono during the investigation of a G-class freighter in an asteroid field near the planet of Castilon in 34 ABY.
- "Ha, see what I did there? Adjust the stabilizers, engage the throttle, and pull back on the stick."
"I can do that in my sleep."
- ―Poe Dameron and Kazuda Xiono
The backwards tailslide was an evasive starfighter tactic utilized to redirect pursuing combatants into asteroids, primarily by piloting a fighter into an arc above an asteroid. The maneuver was performed by first adjusting the fighter's stabilizers and then engaging the throttle before pulling back on the ship's control stick, causing it to arc upward, briefly drifting next to the asteroid before blasting off and forcing pursuing craft to crash into the asteroid. However, failing the maneuver could also result in the starfighter itself colliding with the asteroid and thus scraping or otherwise damaging its hull. The maneuver could also be performed with slight modifications.
- "Don't worry CB-23. I know what to do."
"Trust me. I can do this! I hope."
- ―Kazuda Xiono and CB-23
At some point, a pilot flying a T-70 X-wing starfighter outmaneuvered a TIE/fo space superiority fighter via the backwards tailslide, causing the TIE fighter to collide with a nearby asteroid and explode. In 34 ABY, during the Cold War between the First Order and the New Republic, the Resistance pilot and Commander Poe Dameron demonstrated the maneuver to Resistance spy Kazuda Xiono using a T-70 X-wing starfighter in an asteroid field near the planet Castilon. Xiono attempted to replicate the maneuver in his own X-wing twice but failed both times, scraping his starfighter on asteroids. Xiono stated after the first attempt that he had gone too fast and not given himself enough time to arc, while on the second attempt, Dameron told him that he was overthinking it. He attempted a slightly-customized version of the maneuver once more when the two were ambushed by pirates and forced to split up. Xiono successfully used the tactic to outmaneuver the pirate pursuing him, after which he escaped alongside Dameron as the remaining pirate also fled.
Behind the scenes
The backwards tailslide first appeared in "Signal from Sector Six," the seventh episode of Season One of the Star Wars Resistance animated television series. The episode first premiered on Disney Channel on November 11, 2018.
Notes and references
- Star Wars Resistance – "Signal from Sector Six"
- The events of "Signal from Sector Six" take place in 34 ABY with reasoning as follows: "Resistance Revisited" – Star Wars Insider 190 establishes that the events of Star Wars Resistance Season One—and its accompanying shorts—take place thirty years after the Battle of Endor, which corresponds to 34 ABY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas.
- (Slide 8)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Heralds of Hope Squadron Pack (Card: )
- Before the Awakening